Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125gal. is 1yo

125gal. is 1yo

Here is what i kinda been up to for the past months.I got my dad addicted to Reefing...It consist of a 125gal. Aqueon glass tank built in wall,40gal. sump,20gal. refugium.25gal. water change reserve.Everything is plumbed to do the work on it's own.The tank is running 3x250w DE-MH 10K,4x96w actinics,4 moonlight.It has a Tunze Wave Maker with controller,Tunze skimmer,Tunze Stream and Tunze Turbelle.Plenty of waves/flow!
    It also has Phosban reactor,2x200w heaters and 150w PC flood on the refugium(with red Mangroove/cheato/15lbs. live rocks/sea cucumber(made too much of a mess in the DT)a bad crab and some xenias).
    In the tank there is about 140lbs of live rock,multiple corals and some fishies(Tangs(cole and powder blue),Coral Beauty,black clowns,bangai cardinal,mandarin,wrasse and a massive clean-up crew.

Here is how everything got started.
    65gal. in wall with some south african chichilds(over 10 years)

Now time for some real stuff...
    After tearing the wall apart we built to what we needed it to be.

Leak test...passed fine

The other part fallow in the other post.
    10gal. Freshwater "Guppies"
    37gal Oceanic Saltwater Reef (in the work)
    125gal. Saltwater "Reef" (Shared tank with my dad...lol)

Now it's starting to look like it is supposed to be...

Some of the live stock

I will update the pics as i'm still missing some that i cannot locate right now.
    Finish product,refugium pics...
    That's what it looks like after 1 year it was started.
    That's my dad 1st. reef tank ever.I'm also involved in it as i've own 3 before and have some experience.
    He says that he will upgrade it some day...running out of room too fast lol

that's awesome, great looking setup !!

just out of curiosity, how was the original tank for cleaning??? i know it must have been tough but i still want a reef display ( i know it was FW ) that has some serious depth, more natural looking.

looking forward to the follow up posts, you've done a great job :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Hey thanks for the comment a4twenty.
    That FW setup was a pain in the lower back...At first it was holding 120gal. of water but the side glass pane broke and it made a pretty nasty mess.He got it rebuilt and decided to only put half the water in it and made some kind of falls where the return was.As for cleaning get a stick/patience ready,48" deep was just too much.Took the day to do it properly.We had fun taking the africans out when it got shut down :b15:
    That's the other reason he took it down.

my first SW tank was 30" deep and it sucked for working on the bottom but i think that was mostly because the stand was built to high ( IMO ).

any pics of the tank with the water fall???
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

This is the best pic i have here...Water was falling from the top and middle shelves.Mind you it kind of made a mess by splashing water on the glass.That's why you see 2 green strings hagning down the shelves trying to cut the splashing a bit.Also gives you an idea on how high it was.
    My dad taking out rocks...

liv
    wow.. both setups are awesome !! wow !
    The old setup was deep, I like the idea of filling it only 1/2 and making a waterfall, looks like those setups at BA with the turtles or frogs with the fog.

The new setup looks slick !!
    The hole we see in the wall over the tank in pic iqeyk2.jpg is it for ventilation ?
    and is that the light fixture that we are seeing ? if so, if you make it so it would slide out ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I notice you have the AGA acrylic sump. Is it the large or medium sized one? I have the large one so modified you can barely tell what it used to be. First thing I did was stop the water from flowing over the first wall in the overflow to stop the noise it would make falling back down like a giant water fall.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

The new setup looks slick !! Thanks Liv

The hole we see in the wall over the tank in pic iqeyk2.jpg is it for ventilation ? Yeah it is for the exhaust fan on the light fixture.

and is that the light fixture that we are seeing ? if so, if you make it so it would slide out ? No luck it is stuck there now i think.We had to chip off some of the 2x4's to make it fit in there :016:

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    I notice you have the AGA acrylic sump. Is it the large or medium sized one? I have the large one so modified you can barely tell what it used to be. First thing I did was stop the water from flowing over the first wall in the overflow to stop the noise it would make falling back down like a giant water fall.
    It is the model 4,up to 220gal. i belive.
    We did took out the bio balls and some other stuff to fit what we needed in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast