Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MalHavoc's 33 gallon tank

Specs:

Stock 33 gallon tank
    3 Aquaclear 302 powerheads
    No sump
    4x30w normal output lighting (home made hood)
    45# of live rock
    A prizm that's turned off 16 hours a day

... and that's it

Tank celebrated it's 5 year birthday in August.

Full tank shot:

Blue damsel:

Lobophytum:

Nepthea (yellow tree) coral:

Plerogyra Sp. This was a year ago. It's easily more than a foot across now.

Calaustrea sp (started from a single polyp three years ago)

Tomato clown and BTA. BTA was added two and a half years ago. Was the size of a toonie when added. Tomato clown is a captive brd 4 year old.

One of two varigated sea urchins:

Protopalytoa vestitus:

Ricordea sp:

Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

sweeet.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Jason your tank is amazing. Your bubble tip anemone actually has bubbles. That pearl bubble coral is the nicest I've seen. The caulastrea is spectacular. And you do all this with normal lights and low-tech equipment? For over 5 years! How can this be?
    Susan

I feed my tank heavily, which makes a difference. I'm a big believer in a tank's ability to develop enough low level fauna to cope with a bioload. I fought through the algae associated with doing this a few years ago and I'm amazed at the amount of life on the rock now. Tons of tunicates, formaniferans, and sponges. Lots of marine snow floating around in there too.

I even had SPS corals in there at one point. I used to have some montipora digita and M. capricornus that grew reasonably well. The frags were brown, obviously, but they did well. They are now living in another reefer's tank because my softies were getting too big and were outcompeting them for space. I'm setting up a small 20 in the new year with a single 250w HQI pendant to propagate some stuff. Every weekend, I rip out GSP and brown star polyp because it's just growing everywhere (back glass is one place). Some of my friends aren't friends any more because I've flooded their tanks with it

I should mention that my next tank, the 150 I'm in the middle of setting up, is going to be the complete opposite of this. It has been in the making for almost two years, and I've had time to save my money and get the stuff I wanted right from the start. I'll be aming for a monospecific acropora tank, with just the fish I have now, and that will be all.

Here's another photo of my C. furcata colony, taken this morning, actually. It was right after the lights came on, so the feeder tentacles are still visible:

http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/TankLog...hp?photo_id=39

Thanks for the nice comments
    Jason Nugent
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Hello, nice pic. You have the same link for your bubble coral as your tree coral though:

Nepthea (yellow tree) coral:

http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/TankLog...hp?photo_id=19

Plerogyra Sp. This was a year ago. It's easily more than a foot across now.

http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/TankLog...hp?photo_id=19

Jason Nugent
    ReefCentral Admin

Finally, someone else who believes in heavy feeding! That's about the nicest caulastrea I've seen.

Jason, I can't wait to see your 150g. setup. I think monospecific has got to be more successful. When I first set up my own I wanted a wide variety but after the first year I realized that with this setup nothing really thrives. I've been gradually moving to all SPS but it's not really mono, mostly acro, monti and pocillopora.
    Susan

I've seen photos of your tank, Susan, and I think it's a great one. You've done a lot with it and certainly overcome your share of adversity (flatworms, hurricanes, etc).

The 150 is a ways off, unfortunately. I have everything except the darn tank! I may be moving in a few months to a year and I really dont want to have to set up a new tank and then tear it down again. I had wanted to go with Oceanic but the only source of Oceanic tanks down here is Pets Unlimited, and they've told me many times that they get what they get, and they can't order in custom stuff. So, I'm looking at Inter American now. I really want a starphire front pane. We shall see.
    Jason Nugent
    ReefCentral Admin

This is great to see, Jason! I was just telling Scooby that you didn't need to have really expensive lighting to have a nice reef.
    Way to go!

Now- I want to know just what "heavy feeding" means to you? I know what Susan feeds, and I would like to know how much you feed this tank. I think it is important, especially for new reefers, to know just what is appropriate. Susan has this awesome skimmer, a sump, and a loaded refugium so her system can handle just about anything. But you don't. So what would you feed in an average day? And I have always loved the soft pale colours that come with low lighting. If I put that octobubble in my tank it would turn brown in no time!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

My LPS corals each split a raw tiger shrimp, ripped into pieces, every single day. These are big, grey 3" long suckers, too. For the algae eaters in the tank, a pinch of Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies in the morning, and another one at night, my tomato clown gets a mix of nori (she loves it, actually) and a half of a tiger shrimp a day. My damsel gets another huge chunk of nori (maybe two or three thumbs worth) a day, as well as pieces of the shrimp that my clown eats.

On top of that, I have this nasty blender concoction that I dose in a few times a week, just to give the critters on the rock something to eat. I never really got into phyto culturing.

despite the levels, and the fact that there are always pieces of raw shrimp decaying in my tank some place, my nutrient levels never show on a test kit. 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate, very little algae growth that the herbivores don't deal with. No sand bed either.
    Jason Nugent
    ReefCentral Admin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast