TaylorMades 65g tank

Hello Everyone, My name is Taylor and I am addicted to my saltwater aquarium. I was introduced to it November of last year...Now I find my self watching my fish more then my t.v. or computer, not to mention every payday I need to get my fix of something new and it's getting expensive......I think I have a problem. Hahaha I think all of us are here for that reason.

Hi, I am new to the forum, and relatively new to the hobby.

My tank has been up and running now for a couple of months. I cycled the tank for 4 weeks with 50lbs live rock and about 70 lbs live sand before adding anything. Before going into what I have in the tank, I will fill you in on what I have in my system. To start I have a 65 gallon tank drilled twice in the back, both drain down to my 25 gallon sump. In the sump I have a coralife 65 skimmer on one side and my refugium on the other. Both draining into the center where my return pump is. For lights I have a 48" 4 bulb T5 HO system running two antic blues and 2 10000k whites. This system also has 4 moonlight leds. On top of that I have a 24" reefbrite LED system for more blues. In the tank I am running a korila 4 power head.

The sump I built my self from an old tank and a few piece of glass from a local glass shop and the stand and canopy were hand build from wood panted black. I painted the back of the tank black to match the rest of the room. It definitely looks good.

Now for what's in the tank. My clean up crew consists of a handful of various hermit crabs and snails, a sally light foot crab, a sand sifting crab, a scarlet skunk shrimp and a serpent star. I have 4 blue green chromis and 1 blue algea blennie. For coral, so far I have a xenia, a button poylp and two small montipora frags.

All in all, I have had some really good luck with my system....knock on wood. I have had one snail die, but I have found several small new ones in its place(probably just end up as free food) so I take that as a win.

Let me know what you guys think of my system. I am interested to see some of yours.

Once I get a little more time I will upload some photos.

Dammit you're in Kingston. I'm trying to sell off a bunch of my stuff as my tank is going down. It sounds like you have it setup good with a sump and drilled tank. Looking in to any controllers and monitors in the near future? what do you have for a heater?
    I often visit family Kingston now and then, but I must say the coral situation down there at the local fish stores is on the poor side. When I ask an employee if they have kalkwasser and they have no clue what I'm talking about, it scares me.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

You are absolutely right. To the most part there isn't much here in terms of selection. I went into one of the LFS for cheato and and when I asked the guy he just looked at me with a stupid grin, awwwed for a few seconds and replied No. Then I ask if he even knew what it was. At that point at least he was honest and again replied no. hahaha.

I have two submersible I believe 65 watt heaters in my sump. Temp of my tank has been consistent at 78. My place is really warm so most of the time the heaters aren't even on. I haven't really looked to much into controllers yet. I have the coralife 3 timer powerbar. So I have all my lights on timers. running 14 hours of blue light, 12 hours of white. An hour of blue on each end. Then moonlight leds over night. I think eventually I will look into monitors and wave machines once I get a little more confident with myself in this hobby.

Welcome to AquariaCanada Taylor!

Sounds like you have started a nice tank. We are going to need pictures. I would like to tell you that it gets less addictive or less expensive, but if you've seen my current project I can tell you it's worse then doing drugs.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Hahaha, that's what I hear. It's cheaper to be a coke head. lol

liv
    yes.. and to proove that.. i haven't had a saltwater tank in like a few months.. and i'm still shaking.. and crave it on a hourly basis. Was at my best bud's place last night (njoy) and he's got a sweet tank.. i didn't want to leave.. would have slept beside the tank in a sleeping bag.. ahahaha the gurgling sounds.. the pumps.. the saltwater smell in the air.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

its like diving down south.. never want to go back home.. i bring sand and saltwater back he he.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30