Thread: 65G Cube

65G Cube

It seems like forever since I lasted created a thread or even replied to one. Well I am back, after a long absence. I started a new 65G Cube, and thought I'd share along the way.
    To date I have customized a 24"cube with 2 drains and an angled long overflow. Because of the wall spacing available, a customized overflow back had to be made. The tank stands proud of the side cabinetry, and I didn't want to see the overflow on the front. So we cut 2 drains on the side and built a 3/4 length angled interior overflow. I really like how it turned out. Thank you Patrick for all the help.
    The overflow again needed to be made by us (the preverbial us is Patrick Foster BTW). We decided that with the spacing and equipment we wanted to go with, a two chamber sump was all we were going to get. I works well. I glued it up pretty easily. Looks reasonably clean. The plumbing consists of all hard pipe. It's functional and I included a water change valve. Still work to do and change a few things. But there is time for that later.
    150recirc Octopus skimmer, hard plumbed in. The skimmer, return and 2 reactors are all run by the Eheim pump. Again pretty happy with this as well.
    ATI powermodule 10lamp 24w. I love this lighting. There will not be a cabinet on this set up, so the clean look rocks. The light is exactly what I expected from a unit of this quality. Time will tell if it grows my SPS as fast as a halide. For now I enjoy messing with the bulb configuration.
    Tank has cycled for 5-6 weeks and was ready for some additions today. So we picked up 3 green chromis, yellow coral banded shrimp, emerald crab and a few dozen of snails and crabs. For corals we have a nice mini carpet, two chalice frags, 1 acan frag. A nice first day of acquisitions.
    With this tank I am really trying to get it to feel more open than my 90g did. Sparse rockwork with lots of swimming room and growth room for corals. Will see how this gets filled up before I can say if it was a good design or not. BUt I tried a bunch of different ways to do it, never using more than 1/4 of the rock I have on hand. I have a vision of how I want it to look. My biggest problem will be staying moderate in my coral purchases and allow them to grow large. I love the 24" footprint. The depth allowed some nice play in depth to the low structure.
    Still need to get the plumbing to the finished stage. And as soon as it's warm enough, I'll cut a glue up all the face frames. The doors I have from a previous project.
    Advice on plumbing and electrical control panel are much appreciated from those with cool set ups. Or links to cool set ups. I have some changes to work through on my plumbing, not a big deal. And installing a new control panel. Like a DJ Board (I think this is the name I once saw) with everything being on it's own switch. Anyhow, this is still on my to do list. And I haven't 100% decided how I want it.
    Will continue to post as I get things done or added.

pics?

How the hell do you post pics on these threads? I now remember one of the reasons I stopped coming here. I have to resign in every three minutes, and posting pics is not very intuitive.
    If someone helps me out, i'll post some pics, otherwise look for a thread over at reefcentral.
    Have a great day.....

thread with pics

You can see some of the build pics over at reefcentral.
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976248

liv
    there is a photopost link at the top left.. then upload them
    or you can link to another host site using [IMG] url [/IMG]

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    good looking start
    and welcome back !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Hey Liv, where the hell is the icon for uploading pics. And not the one wanting me to put it on some site and them pull the URL. If I can't do it from my computer then forget it. TOo much hassle for all the pics I'd post in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Hey Liv, where the hell is the icon for uploading pics. And not the one wanting me to put it on some site and them pull the URL. If I can't do it from my computer then forget it. TOo much hassle for all the pics I'd post in the coming months.
    to be honest, IMO it's easier / faster and much less hassle to upload them to a free site like photobucket. then you can link your photos to many different boards all from one source, rather than upload them to each site individually. it also makes it super easy to point friends to all your pics in one place.

here is a thread i wrote to try and explain both methods of posting pics here on AC.

HTH

PS: i keep trying to see the pics in the middle of the night, when RC is down for back up, hoping to see the pics this afternoon.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

What a cute little sump. Looks good so far. And if there was anybody I'd want helping me plumb a new system, Pat would be the name at the top of my list.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

A few new additions:

Green hulk flower anemone
    A couple of new acan frags
    A beauty of a small scoly

Have decided that some work on the plumbing needs changing. Too many lines running under the tank. Decided that the reactors would be better run on their own and not with my return and skimmer. It was creating havoc for the skimmer. Too much tweeking for my tastes. Can't stand having to fiddle with the water column height in my skimmer daily.
    Lights are very nice, but have decided to mod the lights to include an led moon light strip. Have seen a modded one that looked great, so now to figure out how they kept it looking so clean.
    This weekend I may also get to the power center board as well. Once this is done I can finally finish the shelves in the side cabinet.
    With the warm weather starting I will be able to set up outside and finish the face frames and doors for the stand/cabinnet.
    So more to come. Will take some more pics of the updated plumbing as soon as it is done.