Thread: Diadema Urchin

Diadema Urchin

Meet Cordelia our new Diadema Urchin. She is going to help George (a very full Lawnmower Blennie) in the hair algae clean up. She is very small and cute, her body is the size of a loonie.

Are urchins reef safe...that's one thing I have never researched or considered having in my tank. I think I may have problems with the large carpet, and my corals....is this true or am I misinformed....are there any reef safe urchins that eat hair algae. I fixed my hair algae probelm but now would like something to clean it all up. There not much but I guess they eat other algae too????
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

As far as I know the diadema urchin is reef safe. One thing that will have to be done is making sure all corals are secured to the rock really well so they don't get knocked over.
    Right now Cordelia is out in the open on the rocks. She is actually smaller than I had originally thought.

Flame*Angel and MomRules have had these in their tanks for a long time. Maybe they will chime in and give you an idea how reef safe they are over the long term.

Great name, I love it! Don't worry, they grow fast.

Yes, they are quite reef safe and I wouldn't have a tank without one. Voracious eaters of hair algae.
    Susan

My wife named her. Cordelia - means "Daughter of the sea". She thought there were too many boys in the tank so this had to be a girl.

Hehehe, I do that too. Any critter who I have no way to know the sex of I just decide myself so that I can name it. Makes it more fun I think. I can't get attached to critters until they have a name.
    Susan