Hair algae almost gone!

I had a huge algae bloom that got way way out of control.

The tank was set up Jan 1 and a couple of weeks later I had a skimmer pump stop working. With the new tank problems, on top of having no skimmmer, the algaes in the tank took control.

I can say now that I am winning the algae battle, and that it is almost all gone compared to what it was.

What I did:
    Added a Lawnmower Blennie
    Added a Diadema Urchin
    Added a 50 gal refugium
    Raised calcium

Here are some pics to give an idea of how bad things can get. I have two clowns which decided that the hair algae was a good host.

The clowns would sleep in this patch at night.

Heh, I have never heard of clowns hosting in hair algae before

That's great news that it's almost gone. You must be very relieved. I've heard of people suffering through hair algae outbreaks that can go on for 6 months or more. You took care of it pretty quickly.

Are the clowns mad?
    Susan

The clowns seem to be doing well. They really didn't have too much attachment to anything before. They have no fear of anything in the tank and don't seem to hide. It would be nice to have something for them like a frogspawn, I don't think I want to have an anemone in the tank.

I forgot to mention the biggest upgrade in the hair algae battle. I replaced the broken skimmer pump with a MAG 7 and it seems to work alot better.

does phosguard work?

aqua dude: no, phosguard doesn't. I have it and I've also got some hair

Andrew: do you have a skimmer now? so did you remove some manually?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

The skimmer I have is an Excalibur HV 200 with a MAG 7. Now that I have the new pump it is working very well.

I only removed about 10% of the hair algae manually.I thought that removing it all at once would create bigger problems. The hair algae removes alot of nutrients from the water and with it all removed at once I thought there would be an amonia spike or other imbalance. To get rid of the hair algae I started at the souce, the extra nutrients in the water. Getting the skimmer running again and adding the refugium played a big part.

Next I wanted to encourage other things to out compete the hair algae. I increased the alk and calcium in the tank to promote coraline algae and give the inverts some extra fuel to grow. This seems to have helped alot too. The coraline is starting to take off and all the snails have grown much much bigger. With the calcium so high I am watching that it does not precipitate out of the water and collect on any of the pumps or other equipment.

I think the higher calcium must have an effect on the nassarius snails because every morning there are lots of snail egg trails on the glass.

This is the smartest approach to a hair algae problem I've heard of yet. Good going Andrew.
    Susan

I beat hair algae the natural way also. It's the only and safest way to go. What I did was...

Lower temp 2 degrees over 3 days
    15% water change every week for 3 weeks
    scraped thoroughly the glass.
    Scrubbed bad rocks with bristle brush while in tank
    Left lights on in refugium 24/7 for 3 weeks
    Supplemented iron to tank to boost macro algae growth...
    Increased calcium to 420
    Added 30 turbos

Once the source was eliminated, the 50 turbos, 30 Nassarius snails, algae blenny and yellow tang cleaned up the algae.

Three weeks and there are only a few quarter size spots left...I give it three days and they'll be gone too....
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!