Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Chris & Carol's tanks.

Well I figured this is the best place for this thread. I usually like to read about other people's evolution of their set-ups...maybe others do as well!

We are currently running a 220g reef in our basement and decided this weekend (19 of march 2005) to start preparing the plumbing for the new 125g that will be dedicated to our new Volitan lionfish "Spike" that we got from Toutouche.(the up-coming tank is also Toutouche's )

Friday night Chris got on the job of cutting a 4 inch hole in the foundation wall between the basement and the garage. Took him about an hour to drill about 8 inches of concrete.

Friday night and saturday morning Chris worked on the stand. I must say he did a really good job.

This is where the tank will be set up next month.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Saturday around lunch he was ready to start moving the skimmer, calcium reator, ro/di unit, kalk reactor (in other word all the equipment) to the garage wich in half way up between the first floor and the basement.

First mess up (I'm being very polite by calling it that but children might read this ) The fuge that was housing Spike (temporarily) cracks! A mad dash for me to get him out...lets put him in the sump for now. We were ok for now because we have a spare 30g (dont know exactly how big it is would have to calculate) So Chris continues with his plumbing additions and retractions.... Why am I standing in water?!?!?!

Second mess up : The sump is CRACKED!!!!! Ok the sump was really drilled way too much and we knew we had weakened it.( someone even said it looked like swiss cheese ).. But who cracks 2 tanks in a few hours?!?!

Spike needs to be moved again! Good thing I was able to save most of the water from the sump and set up the new fuge in the garage for him.

So now it's saturday late afternoon, we have no sump and the stores are closed, we are way behind in the time frame we had figured the new plumbing would take. So the tank is going to have to be running with the power heads only untill we can get a new sump.

Sunday morning Chris runs to Big Al's and comes back with a sump. We decide not to drill it but to feed it from the top (not going to make the same mistakes twice) We stay up untill 3 am to get the whole thing working again. I'm getting worried that with no real exchange of air or filtration that the fish might not make it much longer...

The plumbing stuff:

The new pump before it was cleaned. Its a swimequip... Chris will surely chime in with the specs in this thread
    Carol

Monday 6:30 am I have to get up to get my son ready for school (I am way too old for a few hours of sleep anymore! lol) and both Chris and I continue to ajust the different flow needed to operate everything.

Third mess up: while tweeking the calcium reactor (its a DIY) Chris forgets to open one of the valves and blows the top of his reactor off! Good thing we have some left over acrylic... he was able to fix it.
    [IMG]chrispol.ath.cx:8080/albums/album13/DSC01341.sized.jpg[/IMG]

Now it's just a question of getting the micro bubbles under control, already this morning (tuesday) it's much much better! We put the diatom filter on to help clear the water.

Here are some pics of the set up in the garage:

Spike's new home (for now) actually the fuge is much better now.. hehe I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason! Spike was really mad at me for being moved around so much and I don't blame him! He finally accepted some shrimps for supper monday night.

the skimmer (also a DIY ) next to the fuge.

The pump and the newly covered calcium reactor.
    Carol

A general view. you can see the chiller on the bottom right of the door.

BTW we have 2 mag 24 pumps for sale right now and Chris mentionned to me this morning that he's willing to go down on the price he advertised on the AC classifieds (we did have to buy a new sump that was not calculated in the budget! )

that's all for now... will be posting all the specs of the aquarium soon.
    Carol

That sounds like a rought week end! But it looks like you're on your way to a great setup!

-yvest

You wouldn't believe how sore we are! especially Chris, he's the one who drilled that hole in the foundation! lol

Our setup is finally starting to look like we imagined it would in our dreams :jump3:
    Carol

Hey, my better part forgot the best pic of them all i can watch my fuge from my bike lol
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

Great job on the 'time line'.
    It's unfortunate you had a few setbacks.
    Looking forward to your next post with pictures and timelines.
    Makes for a real interesting read.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Wow...
    That's quite a bit of work you guys went through.
    I've got one concern however...

Is that pool pump ok with salt water? Does it have saltwater seals and parts that won't corrode or rust?

Next time, call me if you need help. I'm down the street.
    rubbermaids, pails, extra set of hands... I even have a 30gal tank that I could'a lent you... (it's being implemented on my system in the next few days though...)
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

The pump is supposed to be fine, I will be changing the seals this weekend, shaft is stainless the rest is pvc.
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast