Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

6g sps dominated tank

I ordered a nano cube 6gallon about 1month ago and its still being shipped Hope it gets here soon cause i want to start modding the tank! Its going to be a sps dominated tank. Im going to have a sump to. And im going to make a calcium reactor for it. Also going to have a 150watt MH pendent over the tank. Im going to get a custom stand made for the tank. Im going to use a air stone skimmer to. For the return pump im going to use a pan world pump. And instead of a flare nozzle for a return im going to use a hydor flo. Im going to have a starbourd bottom instead of sand. For a clean up crew im having 4-6astrea snails. I also might add 2-3 sexy shrimp. What do you peoples think?

At 25 watts per gallon you shouldn't have a light problem. Seems like a lot of work/money to put into a 6 gallon tank, but what do I know? I think my 65 is about 200g too small
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

my question is why?? you won't need a reactor on a 6g
    SPS need a very stable enviroment and a 6g won't give you that. 150w MH on a 6 gallon will definatly create heat and might be TO much light [dare I say] .how will you add a sump? drill or hangon overflow? they'll all cost WAY more than your tank LOL.
    go for something a little bigger like a 65g or 90g IMO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    mushroom head,
    I'll come in your defence.... somewhat. Your idea and plan sounds great, as long as you take certain things into consideration.

First, Nano tanks tend to be difficult to maintain because of varying water conditions. Temp, Salinity, pH, Ca, alk, all can and will change drastically with the smallest of changes. If this is your first tank, I'd suggest going with something a little larger as already mentioned.

However if you are already inclined to the difficulties of reef aquaria, I say go for it!

I know of several nano setups with sumps. Getting it drilled shouldn't be too expensive either.
    A calcium reactor would be nice, and I've even seen a manufacturer introduce a MINI calcium reactor. However a Kalk reactor might be easier to build and easier on the wallet. It may also suit your needs.

Lighting sounds kinda high for a 6gal. You may wanna look into a 70w MH. It will help on heat issues as well. Make sure that you have adequate air circulation (like a fan) to help with heat.

I'd stay away from the airstone skimmer, and look into the Coralife Super Skimmer (smallest one rated for 10-65 gallons, or half that realistically). This is a needle-wheel skimmer that's getting awesome reviews.

A Panworld pump sounds kinda overkill for this setup. You could EASILY get away with a small MAG pump and provide ample flow.

You didn't make mention of an auto-topoff device. On a small setup like this, I find it is VERY important as it will keep your salinity in check, and you can even use it with the aformentioned kalk reactor to keep your alk in spec as well.

You may need a little more snails than that as well. Think of throwing in a couple of Cerith snails as well. The sexy shrimp are nice to look at, but won't help in the cleanup department.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

This is my second reef aquarium,im getting this tank for free and thats why im setting it up. I dont even have room for a 90g tank cause my room is very small. Iam going to have a auto top off i just never mentioned it. And im going to drilll the tank. I dont want a MAG pump cause those are submersible pumps(or am i just amagining this?) and they will heat up my water more. The reason i chose a 150watt MH is because i can get a 150watt MH cheaper than a 70watt MH. The 150watt MH is going to be a pendent. Johnny Rock, i would go for a larger tank but i got this one for free and i dont have room for a tank like 65gallons. And i dont care if u guys say it will not work cause im going to set it up anyway.

Oh and tang_man_montreal,thanx for the ideas for a skimmer and stuff. :P

My bud had a 7.5gal bowfrount nano that looked awesome. He ran PC over it and had it drilled. No need for CA reactor on a tank that small, and I agree with TangMan, skip the airstone and get a remora or the like. Post pics! :-P

Yeah,thanks for telling me some other skimmer options. Ill post pics when i get the tank! I dont want PC for acros so im getting MH. Im hoping i dont break the glass when im drilling the tank. If it does break when i try to drill it my friend does not get the money back(hes the one who ordered it for me) because i tried to drill it.

Johnny is a large tank biggot. ;-)

Okay, he has worked his way of the chain and now sports a modest sized 500 gallon tank. He does know what he is saying about it being hard to maintain a small SPS tank.

Having said that, it can be done and lots of people are doing it, but, you should plan to have someone knowledgeable available if you have to travel (or whatever takes you away) for more than a day or two. A small system will go far off balance quickly.

Personally, I like the idea of having a large sump room somewhere in the house and having a series of small tanks around all tied to the main system. This way you can showcase a specific coral or two. A 150 gallon system is big enough that you can add something and not see it for weeks on end. I'm sure there are things Johnny has added to his tank he has never seen again. :-D
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I might hook my 10gallon up to the 6gallons sump so i have a greater volume of water. I would set up a large tank but i dont have the cash right now I just finished planning a 90gallon reef tank. But i dont have the cash right now to set it up so right now its just a idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast