Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLIP's 5.5 Nano

FLIP's 5.5 Nano

Hello everyone! This is my first salt water tank after about 8 years in the hobby with fresh water. I decided to go with a smaller tank than a larger one mainly because of the cost to stock the tank would cost more. Although a smaller tank might be harder to take care of, it is within my budget and I wouldn't get too mad if something happened.

I started with a 5.5 gallon. This gave me enough room to create a refugium area to the right side. The refugium length is about 12cm from the right side of the tank. I created 3 different areas for media and stuff. Water would over flow down to he filter floss then travel under to the 2nd stage where the heater is, then that water would be pulled to the last stage where the pump will return the water. So in total swim space is about 28cm x 22cm x 22cm. Water flow is about 80gph or lower because of flow height.

Lighting is a Coralife Mini Compact 50/50 20W. It is about 4cm from the top of the water surface so there is a lot of lighting in this tank, but I may expand later on.

I have 10.5lb live stand and 3lb live rock. My All Glass heater is keeping my temp at 79-80*c. I'm using ocean pure sea salt and an IO hydrometer to keep my salinity at 1.023-1.024.
    I stocked my tank with 3 blue leg hermits and 1 snail. I also purchased 3 mushrooms which seem to be doing ok.

I started this tank Sept 15th @ 8:00pm and I haven't ran into any problems. My tank is probobly 'cycled' since I got LR, LS and also "used" water to start this tank, but I'll keep testing. Testerdays test kit read: pH 8.3, Nitrate 15<, Ammonia .25< Nitrite 0. Even with my fresh water exprience, I still 'wing it' with my tanks and they all turn out ok, but this one I'm keeping a close eye on.

I bought everything I needed at Centre D'aquarium Big Als and they were a big help.

Thursday Night

Friday Night

Saturday Evening

Tuesday Morning
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Cool...5.5g and with a refuge too.
    Keep us posted as to it's progress.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

ijo
    Your off to a good start!!! the only issues i can see is your water parameters... If you purchased your items from bigals... I'm guessing you went with their test kits(I can't remember what brand it is but there have many reviews of them being inacurate)... that being said.. lets assume they are correct... I wouldn't add any other animals until you get your ammonia and nitrite to zero... a small water change to get rid of your nitrites and your all set.

You'll really have to take your time with this nano but the refugium will definately help. Keep us posted on your progress!!

ohh... almost forgot... [welcome]

IJO

Looks bigger than a 5.5 Great rock work btw ... looks very natural

I like the rock stacking and the attatched refugium, very nice.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

very strange arrangement, but looks great.

Thursday 22nd

After realizing how much I have been taking care of my tank by changing a cup of water every day, I told myself that I was ready to add a fish. Nitrates were still under 15 (probobly my eyes/lighting) and ammonia was close to 0, if not only a tad diff shade in color. So I went to Big als today and bought an ocelleris clown, a tiny one too . Dripped him from low salinity to my high .024ish then popped him in. He is doing fine lol.

I created an auto top off system that I found a DIY on another website, but after completing it, it did not work as planned. I will be fixing this later on, but evaporation is minimal b/c of my cover.

My shrooms are growing quickly and I see more featherdusters coming out of my rock (If it is fdusters). I also spotted what seems to be an aptasia (sp?) on my rock, not sure what to do with it, let it grow or kill it... it looks cool.

I hope to pickup some more mushroom later this week.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Tank looks Awsome!!!!

I got a 2.5 gal Nano in my kitchen but I haven't gotten far with it yet! Just haven't had the time. It's been set-up since November!

I'd get rid of the aptasia or it maight start stinging your Shrooms! JMO though.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I was arranging the rocks today and when I turned that big center rock, there was an aptasia about 1 inch long. It was cool but then I got worried about it taking over my tank. There are 2 that I know of and I tried to burn them with hot water, some of their tenticles are pale pink now, but their still living. On Sunday I will either pick up a peppermint shrimp if it is almost the same price as a bottle of joe's juice.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Last Monday I added 4 blue mushrooms. They're actually green looking :|.

Next week I should be picking up some featherdusters, they look so cool. Im thinking of getting 2, but it depends if they have good colors left.

Odd lil things: I noticed when I first setup the tank that there were some lil critters swimming around and just last night I saw them again, except they grew to about 1cm. It looks like a type of shrimp, but he is still burried under the gravel pushed up against the glass. Can't wait for him to come up.

Not much else is going on with my tank. I'm going to swap out the old filter floss for a new one. I can't wait to add some live plants to my refugium, but can't find any anywhere. (If anyone has some plants to stick in a refuge, hit me up, id like to buy some).

Pictures to come tomorrow morning when light is on. Thx
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast