Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10G Tank

JHG

10G Tank

Still very much a work in progress, but here it is.

Tank: Perfecto 10 gallon tank
    Powerhead: AquaClear 301
    Filter: Aqua Clear 150 (for water movement only)
    Heater: Hagen Thermal Pre-set 150wattLighting: Philips Universal Marathon mini-compact 25 watt bulb and Globe mini-compact 9 watt bulb.
    Inverts: Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (x4), Astrea Snails(x2), Brittle starfish (x3?), Bristleworms (tons)
    Fish: Pair of juvenile ocellaris
    Corals: Polyps and some various mushrooms that arrived on rock from Dalhousie sump.
    LR: Mostly homemade. (plan on replacing this by end of December)

I've ordered two Coralife mini-compact 50/50 20 watt bulbs to replace my current lighting. The hope is to be able to support soft corals. I'm also considering adding a few more snails. I am also tinkering with the idea of adding a 10 gallon and using an overflow box in conjunction with a powerhead to return water. I'm new to the marine world so let me have your suggestions/recommendations/criticisms, etc. My skin is think... in most places.

J

Marine Aquarium Society of Nova Scotia
    www.masns.ca

did u use a dsb? its looks good, but i think the DSB takes up too much room

ever thought of seperating a section of the tank to use as sump or fuge?

or did u wanted to keep the whole thing as whole with out modding?

JHG
    What's a DSB?

I would like to add a sump below this tank as I have the space on the iron stand and have the spare tank.

J
    www.masns.ca

Deep Sand Bed, helps produce denitrifying bacteria

if you can do a fuge under the curren tanks, i say do it, its give you more room in the main tank, and more water to make mistakes :biglaugh2

and keep up a bigger bioload!

Quote Originally Posted by JHG
    What's a DSB?

I would like to add a sump below this tank as I have the space on the iron stand and have the spare tank.

J
    DSB = Deep Sand Bed. You place about 3-4" (or up to 6") of sand in the bottom of the tank. It becomes home to many interesting fauna and also is claimed to support chemical processes to remove nitrate (which require a environment free of oxygen).

However, in a 10G tank, a DSB would be inappropriate. It would take up way to much height of the tank and would have insufficient capacity to be useful. Adding a refugium or sump (as you suggest) would be much more useful. How would you plan to drain the water from the main tank to the sump?

How long has it been running?
    Nick

JHG
    I have at it's deepest section 3" of substrate but on average 2-3". This tank is very new and has been running for three weeks. My plan was to use an overflow box to send water to sump and a power head to return water. Not sure if this is feasible but I have a spare 10 tank and space on the lower section of the iron stand.
    www.masns.ca

There's lots of info on the site about over-flow boxes. If you do a search, you should get lots of good material.

As for the pump, if you are meaning a Maxi-jet style powerhead, that won't give you enough power for a return - the Reef Central head loss calculator shows that even a MJ-1200 wouldn't have enough power to return any water to the main tank You'd need to look into a strong pump like a Mag3.
    Nick

JHG
    It was recommended that an AquaClear 402 or 802 should be able to do the job.
    www.masns.ca

The MJ-1200 pushes 1200 lph. The 402 does a bit less (1000 lph) and the 802 a bit more (1500 lph). Flow wise, those should be fine for a 10G tank. The trouble is that they may not have the power to push the water up 4' from the sump over the back wall of the main tank. The AC pumps aren't listed on the RC calculator so I can't check them out.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
    Nick

JHG
    Some pictures of what else is in the tank. I'd like to hear some remarks in regards to identifying

www.masns.ca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast