Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

10G WIP (Work in Prog.)

This will just be my blog thread untill the day after christmas :-) when I will hopefully get things rolling and switched over from my 5.5g ->10g. Please read and leave comments. I do not plan on going hardcore salt keeping (MH, other expensive equipment, because I am still a student and I'm already packed with tanks, my parents will be more upset).
    Borrowed format JHG's post

Tank: Perfecto 10 gallon tank 20x10x12
    Powerhead: 2x 80gph
    Filter: AC 300 fuge, or move it over to me AC 500
    Heater: All Glass 50w
    Lighting: Here is where I need opinions
    Coralife Aqualight 20" 96watt 50/50 quad w/fan $149.99 reg or better boxing day
    Coralfe Aqualight 24" 65watt 50/50 109.99 no fan $109.99 20% rebate, free shipping, 7% tax
    Coralife Aqualight 24" 2x 36watt 1-10k, 1-actinic, no fan, 2 coard, $99.95 or better boxing day
    Satellite 20" 40watt 10k+actinic + moon led, fan, 1 coard, $109.99 20% off
    Satellite 24" 65watt 10k+actinic + moon leds, fan, 1 coard, $119.99 20% off
    Inverts: 2 BLHermits, 2 snails, 1 slug (found it), bristle worms. Soon to get shrimps/crabs
    Fish: 1 Ocellaris clown, maybe try my luck to house an angel instead, not worried.
    Corals: Mushrooms, xenia, zoos, button polyp, anemones, leather, scallop, maybe if I got money to spend... clam in the future. I am still on the learning side.
    LR: 7lb figi & vanuatu. 10lb livesand (CC & Agronite mix).

Everything from my 5.5 will be moved into the new 10gal so the money being spent is mostly on lighting and the tank is only 6.99. I then need to head to ikea and pickup a new table for my room. For a 10gallon, I think 50watts would be adequate for most med light req stuff. I would go with the 96watt quad, but first there is 1 plug and its 1 bulb (that cost 80 bucks). It is the exact length tho, but that doesn't matter does it? 2" both sides isn't a big deal, or is it?
    40watt is low even if it comes with lunar lighting, I can DIY one easily.
    65watt is 1 bulb and costs 10 bucks more, again 1 plug.
    I think the best option is the 2x36watt with 2 coards.

Just a question, if i buy the coralife 72watt and use the brackets to hang from the ceilling, how high do you think i can have it from the top of the tank and still get good light? Plastic feet sits it up about 3-4" i believe.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Picked up a new Coralife 24" 2x36w (72w) deluxe light. Even tho I should have gone with a higher output fixture just incase, I really like the seperate plug feature.This fixture looks amazing and is super bright over my 5.5g. I picked it up at Reefsolutions for 99$ even tho it is regular price vs 140$ at big als (sale). Today I need to pickup a 10gal before I work at big als for $6.99. Then all I will need left is a nice stand and to layout my room. I hope to have everything moved in place by Thursday.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Good price on the lights.

My sister is slowing starting her 10g nano and I'm helping her out and I'm helping her out. Now we're looking for lights, so I contacted Ivan.

We'll need some pics!
    2.5g pico: 2lbs live rock, that's it for now.

good luck on the 10 g. couple things i would do . get more live rocks i got 20 ish in my tank. up the cleaning crew. forget about anemones unless its a really really small bubble tip but eventually it will get big. and with the lights u got u cant keep a clam. i have the coralife 65 w 50/50 and i love it.

I only meant to say I'm helping her out once, it's late I guess my brain feels the need to repeat statements.
    2.5g pico: 2lbs live rock, that's it for now.

Today I picked up my 10gal, Maxi Jet 600 (160gph) for 18.99, and some water conditioner. I don't want too much rocks because I plan on viewing the tank from both sides (length wise) and from the front (width)... I'll post up pics soon. The only problem I have now is where to put the tank... I don't have the right stand that I was looking for.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Keep a few things in mind when placing the tank.

1) How much sunlight will be hitting the tank

Too much sunlight can cause algae blooms in your tank. Plus on hot summer days if you don't have AC having a tank in a room where there's a lot of sun will definatly bring the temperature up.

2) Will you be placing the tank next to a wall that is an outside wall

During the winter if your tank is too close to an outside wall this can bring down the temp of your tank. This has happened to me as my tank is right next to the wall in the basement. You can counter this by adjusting heaters but it's something to consider.

Steph

No sunlight at all. I coverd up my windows (im in the basement). My room is always 23* or higher because I leave the heater on at night. Thanks for the tips.

I placed my tank in the corner, its only 18" above the ground, so its pretty low. Right now I just filled it with water and salt to get things running. When I'm ready, i'll be draining the water in a bucket and if I can find a better stand, i'll move it on that.

I need to go back to reefsolutions b/c the actinic bulb doesn't seem to be firing up. It just glows on 1 side of the bulb near the connector :bawling:
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Ok here it is. I got 7lb of reef rock for 99cents/lb at Aquatropicale, not bad IMO. I picked up a maxi jet 600 (160gph) but found it was too strong and too loud for my room, so im going to try make some type of closed loop system to run durring the day. I moved all my corals into the new tank in 1 night and really fast.

Bad news is that my new coralife 72watt wasn't working so I had to return it back to the store for a refund and im only running on a 20watt 50/50 ATM. Everything is still messy (wiring, room, blah!) but I will get it sorted out once I fix my refuge.

Anyways here it is!
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Looking good I like the idea of a built in refugium

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast