Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ty's 29 Gal

BWI

Talking Ty's 29 Gal

heres my new 29 gal, not much of anything yet but i am slowly adding to it. i will also snap some more pictures also once i clean that algae up!:048:
    :011:

Building Quality not Quantity

BWI

Talking

tank looks great :b2: ............. but it thought nano's stopped at 25G ( or was that just so IJO's 26G wouldn't make it, lol )

you did a nice job on the aquascaping, lots of little holes and passageways for your critters to climb / swim through.

in the last pic it almost looks like the is some chaeto ( macro algae ) in the tank next to the HA or is that just super zoom? when i had HA it was so thick it looked more like shag carpet :b8:

thanks for posting your tank, i look forward to the updates.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Your new tank looks great Ty.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Looks very nice.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Take that rock out and get new stuff. That particular type of algea will be the bane of your existence for years to come. Not to mention that it will overgrow and kill most anything in it's way. And you have some of it on all your rock by the looks of it. Nothing kills it. I even bleached a peice of rock with it on it. All that happened was that it became white. Had to scrape it off with a wire brush. I even tried burning it once. That stuff sucks big time. I battled it about 7 years ago when it grew into a nice golf green appearance. Then it just kept going and going and going. It gives the energizer bunny a run for it's money. Sorry for the bad news. But better to deal with this now then later with a full tank of livestock and corals.
    Good luck.

Jason

This isn't his first tank.He just downsized.

Any new system will go through a recycling period.Even if it's just a disturbance of the sand bed (going from one tank to another).

It's important to keep the nitrates down(stop the feeding of the alga).

Ty,that looks a little wirey in the pic for hair alga.Is it a calurpa on the newish rock?
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

BWI
    Quote Originally Posted by steve w. View Post
    This isn't his first tank.He just downsized.

Any new system will go through a recycling period.Even if it's just a disturbance of the sand bed (going from one tank to another).

It's important to keep the nitrates down(stop the feeding of the alga).

Ty,that looks a little wirey in the pic for hair alga.Is it a calurpa on the newish rock?

hey stevey, yea it could be the early stages of it. I have been watching it and so brushing it off when i can. My emerald crab has been eating it also i need to cut my light time down. and i have also been running the the skimmer wet for now. thanks for the help guys and i will keep the pics coming. (this will be my new home since AP decided to go crazy)

BWI
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Looks very nice.
    thanks bro!:b7:

It is not caulerpa. And it reproduces via fragmentation, so brushing it off is NOT a good idea. As stated before I have had the misfortune of dealing with this vile stuff. And reducing feedings and light cycle will aloso prove fruitless. I had over 70lbs of rock cooking in total darkness and no heater for more than 6 months. At the end of that it was still as green and prolific as the day I started cooking the rock. It was at that point that I decided the rock was a write off and got serious with killing it. Bleach, flames, wire brushes, this stuff is the kryptonite of algeas. I used to know the name but have since forgotten it. Your tank is still new and very little in it. Great time to fix the problem. I lost some great sps and lps peices from overgrowth. And it bored right through the skeleton of a euphillia with more than 40 heads causing me to nearly loose the colony. I am not prone to giving unanted advice or scare tactics. I have seen almost every bug, nudi and nasty algea. But that stuff still gives me nightmares. I even showed it (your tank pic) to my wife, who responded with: "oh god not that stuff". Do yourself a favor get rid of the rock. Or if you like it I can give you some that been dry for over 2 years, with that stringy crap still there.
    Good luck!!!!

Jason

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast