Possible oxygenation problem?

I've had my 12g nano-cube for almost a month, and it is fully-cycled with live sand and live rock. I just added my first fish, an ocelaris clown. He is eating well, but I'm worried about the way he is behaving. He always seems to be active, constantly swimming around the edges of the tank, almost frantically. He seems to be fighting the current quite a bit when in reality he could just chill out in the rocks or out of the current. Sometimes he also swims at the surface as if he needs more air or something.

My question regards oxygenation. Could the oxygen levels possibly be too low in the tank? Do I need an air-stone in the tank? I initially thought the flow from the water pump would allow for enough oxygen exchange (from the surface,) but now I'm starting to think that it's not enough. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the best direction to point the pump outlet. Should it point toward the surface to allow better oxygenation? Should it point straight out toward the glass? Or toward the center of the tank? I don't want my fish to be constantly fighting the current... :b9:

Do you have a sump? skimmer? I have my powerheads set up in a way to create surface agitation, but not so much that it splashes my lights. An air stone would be too messy with a saltwater tank. How long have you had the clown, and what exactly do you have for water movement?
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    Do you have a sump? skimmer? I have my powerheads set up in a way to create surface agitation, but not so much that it splashes my lights. An air stone would be too messy with a saltwater tank. How long have you had the clown, and what exactly do you have for water movement?
    I don't have a sump or skimmer. The only thing moving water is the pump in the back, which does move quite a bit of water, but may not be providing enough aeration. Would a skimmer help? Are there any skimmers that fit inside the compartments in the back of the nano cube?

Could your water be too hot by any chance? It could be the reason why your fish is behaving strangely.