Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Office Pico

ijo

Office Pico

I've started a pico tank at the office and was looking for some idea's on what to stock in it... the tank is 1.8 gallons and, has an internal filter that I filled with rock rubble, a 50 watt heater and getting about 20 times circulation with the internal pump. I will more than likely stay away from corals until I upgrade the lighting...

I've attached a few pics below.

IJO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Office Pico-pico_mar_14_2011_02.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images

i would just do corals, and small CUC.

you should easily be able DIY an LED light for that tiny tank, you'd probably have to try not be to bright.

there's nothing like doing water changes with a drinking glass :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    I've looked around for a lighting upgrade but haven't really found anything yet. Is its going to be a DIY, it has to look good... I'm not sure my boss would be very happy with something that looks DIY or unsafe.

I'm pretty sure I have some 1 and 3 watt LEDS, and drivers kicking around somewhere... I would need to find a heat sink and clip-on light that could be gutted.

Is there anyone on the board that would be interested in building one for me? The goal is to have it look like it was purchased (and work of course... lol)

IJO

I have a 3G pico made from an old glass cookie jar. It's stocked with some palys, zoas, mushrooms, GSP, and xenia. There are a few snails and a sexy shrimp as well.

Lighting is a 13W blue spiral CFL. I tried the daylight bulb, but it washed everything out, so I switched to the blue.

I've built an LED fixture with 3x3W white and 3x3W blue LEDs (no lenses) all mounted on an old CPU heatsink with a fan. I haven't figured out how to mount it yet and frankly, it's been sitting on my work bench for a few months and will probably be there a few months from now. I hate it when life gets in the way of my hobbies.

ijo
    I totally understand when you say life gets in the way... I know I have the 3 watt LEDS in the basement somewhere but think I'll be ordering the following pico setup instead... its very expensive for an office tank... but... hehehe its cool!!

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_in...roducts_id=667

I've attached a few drawings Nicholas from nanotuners sent me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Office Pico-pico-lamp-assembly-back-mount-maximum.jpg   Office Pico-pico-lamp-assembly-back-mount-minimum.jpg   Office Pico-pico-lamp-assembly-side-mount-maximum.jpg   Office Pico-pico-lamp-assembly-side-mount-minimum.jpg  

That's a really nice looking fixture. The price tag, on the other hand, isn't quite as nice.

Have you looked at the PAR38 bulbs? There are quite a few out there now. Nano-tuners, rapidLED, boostLED, and a few others carry them for anywhere fom $80 to $120-ish.

ijo
    Yeah I was looking at the par lamps as well, I find them too big and unless your hanging them inside a canopy or large light rail... I find them an eye sore. This Pico light setup looks sleek but I can't argue with you on the pricing. Then again, there are not many cheap items that look great in this hobby.

IJO

I love that tank ijo, very nice!!
    300g reef system

ijo
    Thanks njoy... I can't wait to get some critters, fish and corals in there!!!

IJO

Here's the guts of my LED build. Looking at the LEDs straight on will blind you or the camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast