BioCube 14 repair

Hi All,
    Has anyone tried to repair a cracked BioCube? The bottom glass has cracked on mine and I would like to know if anyone has taken the black plastic frame off the bottom. Bottom glass is broken on the diagonal from one corner to the other. (Tank is empty)
    Thanks Kathleen

hi !!!!

if it`s made from acrylic ??!! you could go to canus plastics and get a small bottle of solvent.
    it;s the same stuff we use to make our own sumps out of acrilic or plexiglass..

this will melt the crack and bond it together and you can also get a tube of weldon #16 to spred a bead of
    this glue like you would silicone..same type of glue just thicker to make sure you have no leaks...

being a 14g cube it should be ok but i would recommend testing it for a while with just water in it..
    made a 30g sump and it`s strong as hell

steff

Thanks for the info. I think the tank is glass. The crack is slightly angled downwards. I think the bottom plastic has to come off because the crack runs corner to corner and under the back wall of plastic. Will have a closer look tonight after work.
    Regards Kathleen.

no prob
    i asumed it was acrilic but glass is a little trickier !!! can be done ..
    the plastic trim has to come off and the best way to do the repair would be to install
    another piece of glass (doesn`t have to be thick) and sandwich silicone on all edges and crack then
    seal the crack from the inside aswell..if you install the new glass from the inside make sure it`s cut a little smaller
    and do the same. i think inside would be easier and better and the trim should hide the repair...
    with a small thank it could be safe to just silicone it but the safest way is to add another glass..
    the weight could be enough to make it leak if no other glass is added..

Success! I managed to get the bottom plastic off by slicing through the silicon seal. The plastic frame came off without too much trouble. I got some glass cut from the local hardware store and ground it to shape ( the front is curved). Applied lots of silicon to the bottom of the cube (extra over the crack) and positioned the new glass on top. then I flipped it over and placed it on a smooth flat surface with a wieght in the cube to compress the silicon. No more leaks .Tthere is a small gap the thickness of the repair plate so the plastic frame has a gap in the back, but that is just cosmetic. The important part is IT WORKS!

Thanks again for your help, the nano is fixed. Time for a trip to the fish store !

cool !!!
    nice job and glad i could help

i like your idea hehe so i'm off to my lfs,they said that a nice coral order should be in today !!!!
    maybe i'll bring some of my frags that i don't have room for

steff