Refreshing a tank

I've had problems before with tanks loosing after a long absence. Problems such as algae colonies, and snails and cleaners are gone. Is there anyway to prevent it from happening when you can't tend to your aquarium at all time? And what to do to revive a tank when that happens?

When you face this problem the best way to revive the tank with frequent PWC's, it will dilute excess nutrients that are feeding the algae and add the essential elements. In the meanwhile you could try removing the algae manually, use a toothbrush or rubberband to remove it from the rocks. It will start to look like new, but it will take time.

You can do it gradually like Chase suggested, but if you have time I suggest you do a 100% water change and replace/clean everything including the sand and the rocks. place the fish in a clean container and scrub the tank. I did this a couple months back and my tanks is looking great! Also when you're changing the water, make sure it's the same temperature or close to the current water.

I also suggest you do a 100% water change and replace/clean everything including the sand and the rocks. place the fish in a clean container and scrub the tank. I did this a couple months back and my tanks is looking great! Also when you're changing the water, make sure it's the same temperature or close to the current water.