Reefer Job seeking

Hello fellow reefer/scientist,

This may be long shot but hey you never know these days. I am currently about to finish my doctoral studies at McGill University and was wondering if anybody has a position open for a molecular biologist/geneticist in the Quebec and/or Onatrio region. During my thesis, I worked on many projects which dealt with drug resistance (genetic approach) towards drugs such as ivermectin (which is what I believe SPS keepers are using against red bugs) and benzamidazoles.

I have attached my CV to this post I hope this is not consider commerical advertisment
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by gophia
    Hello fellow reefer/scientist,

I am currently about to finish my doctoral studies at McGill University ...
    Congrats,

Deafboy, Ph.D.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

yeah Congrats indeeed.!!!!

I'm stuck at Queen's having trouble finsihing up my PhD... gosh I have no luck whatsoever. I need to finish it and get a good paid job and get a big reef tank man!!! Ok get a house first than a big reef tank!
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Please no congrats yet! I still have to defend!!!

boyohboy, we are both in the same crappy boat, low paying salary and hooked in an expensive hobby!

It completely does not make sense!
    Charles Darwin

Just a background question to satisfy my curosity: Did you use a bacterial model for studying dryg resistance? You mention this as a genetic study... any pharmacokinetics experiments involved here?

About job prospects... you may already be aware of this, but you stand a better chance getting a job once you have done a postdoc. If you want an industry job, then you *need* industry ties. For example, work in a company like Gentech or Santa Cruz... Hope this short blurb helps.

About your large reef tank, I am kinda in the same boat. I have a 75 G, but cannot really spend too much money on it... poor stipend, have a wife and a kid on the way... kinda cuts into saltwater expenses.

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

To answer "Did you use a bacterial model for studying dryg resistance?" The answer is yes and no .

The initial genetic/molecular approach was to compared target genes using RFLP and SSCP. In all 25 genes were compared between multiple treated and naive nematodes. From the 25 genes, three genes showed a significant change in its genetic profile (either loss or gain of certain alleles). From there I designed some very simple PCR diagnostic test system to id those alleles in a population. I then used bacteria to express the three genes and did some drug binding assay, equilibrium dialysis, competition assays, binding kinetics etc. If you want more details or help, PM me

I'm quite aware of standard protocol proceeding a PhD....>>slave!, a.k.a postdoc positions, but I decided to take a chance on the WWW to see if it was possible to ignite the interest of a fellow reefer(s) who are currently in a hiring position to give a poor student like me a chance. You never know who’s on these forums

THINK OF MY FISH people :crap: , if I have a job I would have more money to buy my fishies a bigger tank... I SWEAR!
    Charles Darwin

I am glad no offence was taken as you are already aware of how scientific careers progress...

I didnt know what SSCP was. Had to google it. It is an interesting approach to finding genetic differences towards environmental responses. Genetics is not my field, but molecular biology is more of my field (well, more as a developmental biology approach).

I wish you luck in your future endeavours.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by gophia
    Please no congrats yet! I still have to defend!!!
    Nah.. doing the defend and etc maybe it's abit stressfu, annoying and tidious... but once u CAN do it, you know u'r done. You dont' know how jealous I'm to get to that
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.