Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Advice?

TV Advice?

Okay totally off topic

But my 8 year old 50" rear projector just lost it's convergence. It's off in the shop for an estimate right now, but I'm a bit hesitant to put any money into it as we want to go plasma.

Of course we didn't plan on doing that this year.

Anyway the only thing I know about HD TV is that I want one. Anyone point me in the right direction for researching this?

Thanks!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

HI Kruger,
    I'm also looking for a new TV but nothing like a plasma screen $$$. For now IMO I would stay away from plasma. There are some problem with plasms screen that the sale person won;t tell you like image burn in (BIG problem), bad pixels and a slow loss of plasma gas. The image quality again IMO is not that great unless your watching an HD channel, current not that many, and or a DVD.

Here's some links
    http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/hdtv-buyers-guide.html
    and
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-3.html

HTH
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Newer plasma TV's last a lot longer than the first generations, I had read around 6-7 years now. Also screen burn in on plasma TV's is only a issue on cheap low end plasma models from china using cheap parts. If you buy a Sony, Panasonic, etc. of that brand burn in is not a issue.

As for me my next "TV" will be a hang from the ceiling projector, I want a big 90 inch movie feeling

Cheers
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

Have given the thought about a lcd projection? They are cheap(compared to plasma), you never have to adjust convergence and if the bulbs ever die on you, you can change them yourself.

Just a thought
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

Thanks for the links gophia.

From what I've been reading, burn-in on plamsa is no more of an issue than burn in on a Tube would be. It can happen faster on a plasma but you need to have a stationary image for hours.

I'm also reading that plasmas can recover from the burn-in and it isn't always permanent where as a tube, once it's burned you're done. Maybe I'm not understanding it?

I haven't heard of losing plasma out of the TVs, where can I look into that?

Anyway, I'm not convienced that it has to be a plasma, it has to be a large TV though, my wife is visually impared and anything under 42" might as well be off. Once you get into 42" HDTV starts to become standard, and LCD & Plasma wall mounted systems are interesting...

I eliminated projectors from the list of posiblities, the lamp in those are typically rated at 10,000 hours. With kids watching the TV that's way too short for my liking. On top of that, you really need a room you can make very dark to pull off projectors well.

This is going in my living room & the sun washes out the rear projector in the morning sometimes with the blinds closed, so it's not going to work for me.

What ever we do, I'd like it to last longer than 6-7 years though, so I need to look into that. Where did you get the lifespan estimates DuuhMojo?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by bebitte70
    Have given the thought about a lcd projection? They are cheap(compared to plasma), you never have to adjust convergence and if the bulbs ever die on you, you can change them yourself.

Just a thought
    And a good thought. I saw one last night I'd be happy with that's in our price range, but my wife doesn't want another rear projection system.

This is sight unseen mind you, I need to get her into a store & looking at LCD projectors. I've seen some nice DLPs too.

Cheers!

For anyone looking for a HDTV...

Alright, spoken as a consumer electronics sales consultant of 5 years, I have seen all of these problems you guys are speaking of and I could be a good contact for you guys (1) for information and (2) for an excellent price on some very nice tvs. I have worked at Bleeker Stereo and TV in Kanata now for just about 5 years and from burned in plasmas to short life bulbs, I have seen it all come and go. I was also part of the service department seeing all the broken tvs being brough in to be repaired.

Specifically speaking to Krugar now... if you want my advice or anything, feel free to PM me or drop me some questions in email at aumontmatthew@gmail.com. I would be happy to aid you in your choice. I will probably be able to give you my best price, plus I am not going to make up a sales pitch to try and sell you anything you don't want or need.

This offer holds for anyone on here looking for a new tv as well. Just drop me a line and we can discuss details and all of that fun stuff.

Good luck with your search. The brands we carry are Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, JVC, Sharp, and Sanyo. We carry LCD Flat Panels, Plasmas, LCD Rear Projection, LCD Front Projection, DLP Rear Projection, DLP Front Projection, LCOS Rear Projection, CRT (dead as of next year).

Matt

A word on lifespan of digital tvs...

Plasmas = 60,000 HR (roughly 15 - 20 years) -- I am speaking of current models)

Flat Panel LCD = 60,000 HR (same as plasma... but no screen retention issues (burn in)

All Rear Projection Sets (LCD, DLP, LCOS) = 10,000 - 12,000 HR (This is just the bulb life so this can be replaced every 5 - 7 years at a cost of approx. $250 - $450 depending on the brand of TV. The rest of the components should last anywhere from 15 - 20 Years. You pay less for these sets up front but in order to get the same life as a flat panel tv, you pay for it in bulbs over its lifetime.

Front Projectors (LCD, DLP) = 2,000 - 3,000 HR (Again this is just the bulb but the worst lifetime out of all the technologies. The main advantage to this technology is SIZE... If you go this route, you are most likely looking for quantity as opposed to quality, however there are some very good ones if you have controlled lighting in the room. These bulbs however range from $400 (cheapest for Hitachi LCD Projector) ----> $800 (most expensive for Sanyo LCD Projector). You will be replacing these bulbs every 2 years easily with average viewing times. This is why most people purchase these for movies and sporting events and have another tv for regualr every day use).

I could go on and on about all the different technologies but I won't post it all in here. Anyone with questions let me know and I will have an answer for all of them. I know my stuff.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I'm still waiting to get my repair estimate. Once I know what it's going to cost to fix the old set I'll be in better shape to make a decision.

Cheers!

Matt maybe you know. My wife said she heard that there was a new TV coming on the market for 2007 that was going to "change the TV industry".. Any news on what it could be or was my wife watching one thing and thinking another ....again

Also we've been in the market and this is what I've been looking at in buying... I've looked into alot of tv's myself and this one doesn't seem to loose its picture brightness if the sun is on it or when you look at it at different angles like some projection TV's.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...on=&langid=EN#

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast