Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dog owner, HELP ME!!!

My brother received this week a dog and we never had one before, so we need your help to show us how it keep her.

She is 10 weeks old and she is about to get her teeth. We are thinking of buying her a bone for baby dog so she can play with it instead of the other furniture in the apart.

How do you educate a dog to listen to you and how to teach her to do her toilet in one place or outside and not everywhere in the house? We put some newspaper near her bed, but she keep on peeing anywhere else. I will seriously need your help!

How many time does she have to take a shower? Also since she is a female, she will one day have her period i guess... is there anything we can do to not face that problem?

Here's a picture of her:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Also my brother is in the US right now, is it possible to bring her in Canada? She is not yet vacinnated
    Richard

600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

I never had luck with the newspaper...for me I just keep taking em out lots at first and praising em when they pee outside...and talk sternly when they pee inside... as far as getting em in from the states, I believe they need to be vaccinated, but i'm not 100% sure on this. oh and deffinately get em some chew bones...but not the ones that are shaped like slippers, they might figure anything this shape is fair game.

tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

OK the way to teach a puppy to do his business outside is EASY. All you have to do is Remember that EVERY time a puppy wakes up even from a short nap, or has a drink of water, or eats ANYTHING it will most likely need to do some business so put him out to the spot to be used RIGHT AWAY WITH OUT DELAY. Use a lead if you have to to control the area of use. Wait until its done an PRAISE it GREATLY and give a treat EVERY time.
    As for teething ... give the puppy several chew toys of different textures and densities so he can pick the ones he likes depending on his mood and how sore his gums are. Crate training is also a very good idea
    Rob

Banned
    Well let me start by saying what a cutie she is. At the pet store, I think walmart may even carry these, you can find what's called training pads. There meant to absorb the leak and give her a place to void. Place the pad by the door for when the time comes that she will get the hint that outside is the toilet and not the house. Another trick is to place the pup on the training pad ~15min after eating/drinking as this is the most likely time that they will go. Also try to remember to place her on the pad after a good play as pups will usually need to go after. A good tool for house breaking is a crate. A pup will try not to void where they sleep. Remember to let them out before you go to bed and right when you wake up, if she can't hold it and voids in the crate still place her on the mat. As you develop a routine you'll be able to start placing her outside before she voids. Still keep the mat at the door as an 'just in case' insurance until you're sure that she's house trained. I've had both of my labs house trained by 20weeks old but it could've taken up to 6 months.

By all means play and love her but keep in mind that dogs can, even more so with females, develop separation anxiety. As a pup a crate can help her learn to be alone and a pet bed will give her a place of her own when she's older.

Toys are a good thing, but I'd stay away from the stuffed kind. Stuffed dog toys look allot like kid plush toys and may pose a problem. A Kong in a great toy and being hollow it can be filled with peanut butter or whatever. Remember when she grabs your shoe that puppy's explore through their mouth. Give her the right toy and reward her (like by petting her and saying good girl) for chewing on the correct toy. If you scold her for chewing on your shoes she may seek out them as she gets older when ever she wishes to get you back. Keep in mind when giving treats that chocolate is deadly to dogs. Keep bakers chocolate 'out of reach' of her as it's pure chocolate. Milk chocolate is only 15%-25% chocolate so if you must give chocolate to her small treats of milk chocolate. Think of it like alcohol, too much will kill you.

When looking for a vet be sure to meet the vet and shop around. Don't just call but go in and ask questions. They may have pamphlets to give you so you don't have to rely on notes or memory alone. Going in to ask the questions will also give you the chance to get a feel for the office and the type of service you could expect. As you're shopping ask about wellness packages. Some vet clinics will offer a package deal that will include services and shots, for example; The vet clinic here will give you a package for two payments of $90 that includes all three puppy shots, the exam, nail trim each visit, deworming, stool exam, obedience training (classes offered offsite but are included in package), vet visits (if you have concerns and see the vet there is no charge until they are 6 months old), lab work (only pay for cost of equipment used and not the whole test), and any emerg visits (if they get into an accident or need their stomach pumped from eating too much chocolate until 6 months old). I was lucky I had this plan as one of my labs had cracked his canine tooth in half and caused plate damage. It would have cost me in excess of $1000 to have repaired but because I bought this plan I only paid for the extras (heated water pad during and after operation, human grade drugs, heart monitor and full operating staff for the whole operation, ect) that cost me only $100. There may be something like this around you and will give peace of mind.

Beware of cheap dog food and read your top 3 ingredients. Cheap food is mainly filled with garbage and may lead to dental problems (and stinky dog breath). A good training treat are chopped up pig ears (almost all pet stores carry these dried smoked pig ears). I know it's grosse but they work for about 95% of the dogs I've ever trained. Cut them up in 1" squares (you'll need sharp strong scissors) and use them as rewards when the vet gives the ok (at about 2-3 months). They're also good for teething.

Finally the best advice I could ever give is; watch your tone. Until they're trained with commands, you can say anything in an angry tone (even good girl) and she'll think you're mad. Even after the dog learns commands the tone of the command will affect their behavior and can hinder training. Mind your tone and try to keep training in a playful format.

I don't know about crossing the border with her but good luck.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Rich,

If you have a closed backyard, it will be somewhat easier to train her. You can teach her to go to the back door when she needs to go. In the meantime, you can place a paper near the back door so she associates the back door with going outside.

"Cage training" is the absolute BEST method for training a dog. She should be put in the cage when you are not there. It should be large enough for her to stand up straight, and lie down. That's it. You don't want her going to the bathroom in the cage. A young dog won't be able to "hold it in" as long as a mature dog. So keep this in mind. Typically, a 2month old puppy can "hold it" for 3 hours. A 3month old for 4 hours, and so on... So make sure someone is home or able to take her out as needed during the day.

She should be used to being in the cage even if you're home. If you can't keep 100% attention on her, put her in the cage near you (in the same room) so that she can see you. NEVER use the cage as a punishment area. Eventually she will see the cage as her home, feel safe there, and even go there by herself. I find my dogs go to sleep in the cage when they are tired.

Whenever she has an "accident", say NO in a loud voice, pick her up, and bring her straight outside. If no backyard, put her leash on and bring her outside.
    NEVER slap or hit her
    NEVER rub her nose in it.

Dogs don't need to be bathed very often. They have sensitive skin, and depending on the breed, it's sometimes better NOT to bathe them often. Maybe once every 2-3 months, or if she gets dirty.

Get her lots of durable toys. Nylabones are GREAT since they last long and are great for developing her teeth and preventing gingivitis.

I'm not too sure regarding the bringing of a dog from the US. Vaccines will most probably be a definate. However, I've driven over the border with my dog and not been asked a thing. I would try contacting Canada/US customs to be sure.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

it's not hard to bring a dog across the border. if you are worried about it goto a vet in states and get its first shot and tell them you going to take the dog to canada. They will fill out a paper saying that the dog is healthy. I brought my 3 dogs across and wasn't asked anything. but I did have the papers

WOW!!! THANK YOU ALL!!! VERY APPRECIATED!! All very good advise that i will be taken in consideration FOR SURE!!! GOOD thing to know good forums!!!!
    Richard

Here is another trick that may help with house training. You can train your dog to ring a bell when they want to go outside. This is MUCH easier to do than it sounds.

Use a small bell like what you would put in a bird cage. Place the bell next to the door where the dog can reach it. EVERY TIME you take the dog outside, take its paw and gently tap the bell with it a few times. It does not take long before they will ring the bell on their own. ANY TIME you hear the dog ring the bell, IMMEADIATLY take the dog outside. One of my dogs had some bladder control problems and I found that this has really helped. He is 2 years old now and seems to have grown out of it for the most part.

The key with dog training is consistancy. You must always try to react quickly to everything they do and react the same way every time.

RobM, thats a great idea and I will try to start that training this weekend. i2ik, good luck with her, she is a very cute puppy.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast