Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Move!!

The Big Move!!

Well I'm asking for peoples info on moving a tank from one house to another. My wife and I just bought our first house and were going to be moving into it in the end of June. (The family thats in there now have kids i school so they asked us could they stay till June.) I would like as much info as I can get. No detail is to small. I've thought about alot of it in my head now but i'm sure I'm forgetting some things. I still got lots of time so it's not a major rush.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Do it before you move into the new house or after, but, not on the same day. I moved mine into our new house 2 days before we moved in, however, we has it built so there were no previous occupants. I borrowed coolers and as many 5 gallon Culligan bottles as I could get. I made up about 20 % new water and drained the old water. Moved the rock first into a cooler with the tank water. Next do the corals in a large cooler. Than remove 75% of the water. Fish are a breeze to catch with a couple of inches of water to deal with and not rock. I bagged the fish. Romove the rest of the water. I left the substrate in place and had some friends help me lif the tank into the van. Did the reverse order on the other side. I did scoup all of the cruddy water that was on top of the sand. After I got the rock and corals back in I used the 20 gallons of new water as if it were a regular water change. Floated the fish while the filters full of polywool were running. I borrowed a pair of Fluvals from some friends and it was clear in 30 minuites. I basically dumped the fish back in as they were in thier same water. Total time was less than 3 hours from start to finish. No cycles and no losses.

Hope that helps.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Hey Mike,
    Congratulations on the new house! Make sure to give me a holler when you need help moving your tank,
    John

yeah mike if i know the day and you need a hand i can arrange to make a trip to visit the inlaws to give ya a hand. CONGRATS!!
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

thanks alot everyone. I'm going to be moving the tank and all it's contents after everything else is moved. Thats the only thing that i'm really concerned about. I can't wait to get into the new house. I'm sure all my weekends will be very busy now!!! I was also thinking about putting the sump in the basement. What do you all think about that? I'm going to need a bigger pump but I don't think that will be a big deal. Something like a T4. When I do move the tank I was also thinking about changing my sandbed when I had it all torn apart. Right now I have the playsand from Kent and i'm totally not happy with it.I think it has silica in it. Any suggestions for another type of sandbed. I had crushed coral before but I was hoping for something a little finer.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

..... Right now I have the playsand from Kent and i'm totally not happy with it.I think it has silica in it. Any suggestions for another type of sandbed. I had crushed coral before but I was hoping for something a little finer.[/QUOTE]
    I have CaribSea's sugar fine aragonite on the bottom of my 180. My starfish like it.

Congratulations on the new house! You think you're going to busy "this summer?"- try the rest of your life!
    I have a lot of Patients

Well this summer is going to be more crazy than any other. Well I think right now anyway. Were getting Married as well in Cape Breton. Do you have any problems with sand storms? I'm guessing your talking about a sand sifter star. Do you have any problems with him digging under your rocks or anything?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

No I don't get sand storm (occassionally when I stir it up a bit- but not normally). Yes I have two white sand sifting stars. They don't go under my rocks (prefer the sand better). One likes to lay ontop of the other (still can't figure that out yet as he does it for hours on end and will actively seek the other out to do this).

The thing I like about the sand is it stays whiter than my gravel ever did ( i guess the algae can stick better to the larger gravel bits)
    I have a lot of Patients

So the sand sifters stirr your sand up pretty good? I'm having a problem with my sand. All kinds of debris just lays on the surface. Do the sand Sifters go onthe rocks at all? Would two of them be too much for a 75 gallon? Thanks for answering all my questions!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Well tomorrow is the big move!!!! Can't wait. Not to excited on moving the tank but it got to go. I got some different sand for the new place. I'm going to be bringing it to the new house the first day and rinsing it with lots of water. Then the tank on the second day. I think i'm going to cut the hold in the wall and run the plumbing to the basement so it will be ready to plumb the sump in down there if and when I ever get any more money in my pockets. I got 5 water cooler jugs full of RO/DI water just in case and a bucket and one bag full of salt ready to go. I think thats it. Wish me luck!!!LOL I hope I don't need it thou.Cheers
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast