Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computer store in Ottawa area

Hey all,

I'm trying to find a Hauppauge MediaMVP Digital Multimedia receiver in the Ottawa area in stock. I've had one on order for over 3 weeks & I'm running out of patience.

Anyone have a suggestion where I might pick up up? Today?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

These guys aren't in Ottawa (Kingston), but they do have them in stock:

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/pro...7/21/491/11597

for local pickup, I usually use www.dealsdirect.ca or www.networksupply.ca (neither have one in stock currently).

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but my favorite computer store is www.oemexpress.com there's one in Kanata and one on Catherine St.
    Hope that helps.

Is it something like this that you want? http://www.oemexpress.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={50806DC6-0EB7-40D4-83F0-F8766E310A5A}&ic=FDDMIT%2DD63119&Tp=
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

I checked OEMExpress, they don't carry them. Actually according the OEMExpress, I can't use my capture card the way I'm using it (starchoice) and the MVP doesn't exist, I'm appariently imagining it.

Kingston's a bit out of the way, but at this point if I can't find one locally & the Kingston store has it in thier hands I'll pay for shipping

Cheers!

This is what I'm after:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ..._mediamvp.html

It's basically a linux box, with just enough smarts to hook up to my network & play movies, music, and show pictures through my TV / AV system.

Cheers!

Just a question really...why would you want that? I believe any video card with TV could do that exact same thing you are after, am I wrong? Unless you are getting it at a good price, I'd stick to TV out from computer to tv.

Most conventional TV out cards will seriously impact your processing performance.

I have a Hauppage card. they have onboard encoders/decoders. Processing time is not impacted as heavily. Hence I can play WoW while my wife watches "TIVOed" episodes of the amazing race

This is why I didn't go with a conventional TV out card such as an ATI all in wonder etc.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Oh and for the record Hauppage is da bomb!
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkilla
    Just a question really...why would you want that? I believe any video card with TV could do that exact same thing you are after, am I wrong? Unless you are getting it at a good price, I'd stick to TV out from computer to tv.
    Not really. The MVP is a play back device, not a capture device. With some mods I can control my computer with it as well. It also natively understands DivX / XviD.

Instead of having 3 small media centers everywhere I watch TV, this allows me to have 1 big computer in the basement (2G RAM, 2TB RAID) and an MVP to hook it up to my network.

The MVP also costs around $120. So add a wireless LAN to this and I'm good to go . The downside to this is that I can only record 1 show at a time, but I have 3 recievers and I can play back in 3 locations + from any computer in the house, so I don't see it as that big of a deal.

The next computer upgrade will add a smaller PVR to the network, likely in the AV rack as a media center, but that's a ways off. This is to enable taping more than one show at a time.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mickyfin
    Oh and for the record Hauppage is da bomb!
    Price / performance it's almost impossible to beat the PVR-150. Hardware MPEG encoding / decoding and if you look real hard you can get a new one under $100 with remote & IR blaster.

The sound leaves a tad to be desired, but I figured it was the perfect "starter" card.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast