Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

buying TV and narrowed down to 2

OK I have my TV choice narrowed down to 2 based on what i feel is good picture and in my price range...

Either the sony KFE50A10

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...th=n32050n45260

or the Hitachi 50VG825 ULTRAVISION® CineForm™ LCD Projection

http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachic...jsp/hcl/hcl/en/

whats everyone opinion on the 2 pros cons before I make my desision... They are prety much the same price for both where only 25.00 separates the 2 after my haggling

Thanks in advance everyone

PS - From what I've been "TOLD" by the saleman whom carries both TV's and prices are pretty much the same said that the picture quality is way better with the Hitachi because its the Pro line as for the sony is base model... Is this true ?? Hard for me to tell since he only had the sony in a 42" one side of the room and 50" hitachi was on opposite side so it was hard for me to tell.

don't know if it's just me but I can't get the links to work.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

You're right.. Lets try the links again same info though as above...

Sony 50" KFE50A10
    http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...h=n32050n45260

Hitachi 50" 50VG825 ULTRAVISION® CineForm
    http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachica...sp/hcl/hcl/en/

It's really hard to give advice on something that's somewhat personal preference. Everyone interprets colour differently. The best thing you can do for yourself is to grab a decently mastered dvd from your collection that you're really used to and go down there and play it on both sets. Buy the one that you like personally. Ask the salesman to set everything back to zero gain and take a look. Generally, skin tones should be natural and colours should not be overly hot. As with good audio equipment, a balanced flat response is what you're looking for. Have fun!
    George

If the sony is the ''base'' model, I would go with Hitachi. I have worked at a home theater shop for 2 years and I found(IMO) that the cheaper sony's lacked in quality with the base models. If it's the higher end I would go with the sony.
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

I will have to chime in here and say the Sony for sure between these two models... the hitachi has a terrible screen door effect and looks terrible on standard definition... you will be disappointed with the Hitachi.

Get the Sony... TRUST ME>

there are two models of the sony. I would compare them side by side, there are a few sites that will do a side by side comparison. I think the models are kfe and kfd? I am not sure of the differences. If you need any help, PM me and i can get a person very knowledgeable to do the compaison for you and give you a call.

The KFE is the model I was loking at and from what i was tod the picture quality is exactly the same only the cable card is the main difference... Aumont matthew I was hopig that you would see this and chime in Price i can get for the sony is 2950 taxes in for the tv and stand and the hitachi is 3000 taxes in for the stand and the TV..

Also... I just saw a TV and caugh.. Future shop... and it was a JVC with the new technology called HDILA if I remember correctly... the lines on the picture screen were barely noticable like most TV's and 80% of the time the picture looked unreal however on some pictures it didnt look as clear as the sony ??

mp123.. you are right about the KFE50A10 being exactly the same picture quality as the KDFE50A10 (this model having the cable card and ATSC tuner) both options being things you do not need.

The JVC is not exactly new technology, they have been using it in their Pro front projectors for about 9 - 10 years and last year created a rear projection television using LCOS technology which they term HDILA and Sony started this year with the SXRD lineup.

The JVC is by far my personal favorite, although a little bit higher priced but you pay for what you get, a much clearer, more defined picture... although light colours such as white tend to shimmer on the LCOS technology.

As for the price... if you can get the Sony KFE50A10 for that price including the stand and taxes... that is the best price you are going to find... I don't think it is the real Sony Stand though at that price (SURG11M is the Sony model) but who cares... don't need your stand to be manufactured by Sony.

Just my 0.2 cents.

Matt

ijo
    Projection TV's are much better these days but for a few dollars more... I would spend my money on an LCD. The picture quality is better(IMO)... I'm not sure if any of the 2 TV's you mentioned above have a shiny screen but the LCD's have a flat color to them... and when your pushing a sharp image... it feels like you could jump through your TV and join them.

We went with the Sony Bravia KLVS40A10 ... they have it listed at 3499 but we got ours at futureshop for 3299 and then made them price match a company in Montreal who sold it for 2880 about a week after our purchase(They give you 30 days).

Another thing is to make sure you have digital cable or sat at a minimum... regular cable looks terrible on these large screens(pushing 75 lines of rez on a 1000 line screen)

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast