Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got Speeding ticket in US.... help

Anyone know or got any "experience" getting a ticket from US?

I was just in NY for the long weekend. On the way back, just about 10 min from crossing the boardor back into Canada(!!), on I-81 in the middle or nowhere, no traffic, a cop was hiding behind the trees ( no kidding!) and got me going at 81miles/h, limit is 65mph. If you translate back to Km/hour, that it's like 129 over 104 km/h.

The ticket has no set fine/penalty on it. The cop said I have to sign (guilty or not) and send it to the US court which will then send me back to penalty info.

I've so far (only been back home for a few hours :rant: ) found out tickets from State of New York will for sure be carried over to Ontario driver license record, including the demerit points, if any. So which means my insurance company will know about it once it's convicted. And New York state may have a really heavy ridiculous fine (someone quoted me an article from 2005 Global, saying a person got a ticket for $180USD, pad it and then later got a "supplementary" ticket to ask for ANOTHER $300USD :rant: :rant: :errr: :errr:, and it's a LAW in NY! )

Anyone of you have been unlunky to have this "experience"? Please let me know. I need some serious help. I think i may end up hiring a ticket figther. Which ticket fighter agent company is good?

The only slightly good thing is the court address listed on the ticket is only ~1 hr drive from Kingston over in US, so won't be too far if I have to attend. But the cons for that it's only a small tiny town there so finding/hiring a ticket fighter there may be difficult.

HELP! :errr:

Crap I hated this long weekend already. This stupid ticket and the trip kinda sucked too ( I did want to go to NY, but this one gal of us was just whining all day the whole trip every 1-2 min when we tried to walk around sight-seeing, so annoying.... ) arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... and did I say I may just ruin my perfect driving record?!?!?!
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Let me guess. The Town of Pamelia?

Over the course of the past 20 years I've had an arrest warrant issued by Justice Robert H. Austin for about 14 years (on and off.)

The best thing to do is to sign guilty, mail the ticket in and wait. In NY the Justice can sent the fine at anywhere from $1 per mile to $5 per mile over the limit. They will demand that you send a cashiers cheque, certified cheque, or money order. I've found that they're perfectly happy to accept a personal cheque is that is what is offered. Just mail it to them and they will mail you back a receipt. There was not, at the time that I was ticketed, a transfer treaty from NY to Ontario but I believe that I heard some time ago that they were working on one.

Best to deal with it right away. If you don't they'll issue a bench warrant for you and the next time you try to enter NY (or are stopped in any state with an extradition treaty with NY you will be arrested and held until you can appear before the JOP to pay your fine. You just hope that he isn't on vacation for two months.) You may also find yourself personna non grata in the US which would be a bad thing.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

yeah the transfer thing is definitely in effect now. Anything fron New York and Michigan states will get transfered back to Ontario.

See the very bottom of the page:
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...er/demerit.htm

Trust me, I have absolutely no problem paying for the (initial) fine if that's final. It's the points being transfered back to Ontario which will then affect my insurance that I'm concerned with... and this!!:

"Highway Robbery"
    http://www.canada.com/globaltv/ontar...d-134228cfb845
    http://www.canada.com/globaltv/ontar...d-e37584821eaa
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

As a rule, I don't speed ever in the US. I know in some areas, if you are from out of state (as we are), you can be arrested and detained if you can't pay the heavy fine on the spot.

I didn't know about this "Driver Responsibility Program" in NY. But, that just doubles my justification to keep to the limit.

A few years ago, I drove from mid-Vermont back through the Cornwall bridge and on to Ottawa. OMG are there a lot of 25-30-40-45-50-55 MPH shifts. It seemed like 2 per mile. And at 25 MPH, those miles take forever.

Best of luck. You can try contacting xcoppers. They might know who can help you if they can't. (I don't know)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

cres I agree.

In fact for the rest of the 6-7hours up from NY, I was only going at ~70mph (65mph limit) . It's only that few minutes of open area close to back home Canada that I went a lil faster. Driving a much taller & bigger car (a rental GMC Envoy) than my own car (lil Civic!) probably wasn't helping there. I may be feeling a tiny little bit better had I actually speed all the way up from NY and finally got caught -_-

Same thing happened to me 3 years ago, i pleaded guilty and never paid the fine. Never lost any points and i will never drive in Albany again. Just ask your wife to drive the next time.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

You'r lucky then it happened 3 years ago and/or you'r in Quebec. It will not work now for me now since any traffic ticket conviction we get in New York State will be carried over to Ontario (not sure if Quebec will do that or not). I think this policy is only establish for the last couple of years?! So if I do a no-show or no-pay for the NY ticket, I could very well get my license suspended by NY State, and which may carry over to Ontario and my insurance company will know.

The easiest thing to try now I think is perhaps try to plea guity with bargain and write to the court in NY "explaining" the situation and hopefully they'll let me go without any points, some amount of fine is ok to me.

Someone from NY explained to me that since I'm pulled over by STATE police, if according to the law, the full fine will go to the State. Whilst if the LOCAL court that handles the matter decided to let me plea guity with bargain, ie guity to a lower no-piont offence, then the LOCAL minicipal get the $$. So there is abit of an "incentive" for them to lower my offence so to speak. But at the end of the day, it depends on the mood of the attroney that reads my case on that particular momoent.

This same scenerio happened to me last year. Basically, Last July after coming back from a trip to Florida, I too was caught near the Town Of Lewiston (Buffalo Border) speeding 87 in a 65. At first I laughed at the idea of paying the ticket and threw it out the window. A couple of months later I received a notice fom the courts stating the my licence had been suspended and that I needed to make a plea. I basically wrote back to them and told them to screw off. Well shortly after I received another notice stating that if I did not respond, that their courts would contact the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and they would request my licence be suspended here as well. I thought they were full of crap so I called the Ministry and they told me that they could do that. Further more, my insurance would go up because A I sped and B my licence is supended. I started to panic and called a Xcopper who basically told me that he would charge $700 to $1000 to go and represent me and there was no gurantee if I would win or not. After tellin the Xcopper to screw off, I eventually pleaded guilty (MISTAKE # 1). I was sent shortly after a fine over $260 US which included admin fees, licence suspension fees, etc. Also, I would be later sent a $300 US fine to pay which basically can be exempted if I do driving school in Buffalo. I had no clue that the fine was this high so I re-entered my plea to not guilty. I was given a hearing date. A this hearing, I met with the judge 1 on 1. Explained to him my side (basically bull-crapped him that I was a good driver and not familiar with their roads) He was very understanding and lowered the status of the ticket to parking infraction which means no points and a $160 US fine. (this is a regular practice)

POINTS TO REMEMBER:

1) If you try to avoid the ticket, your licence will be suspended in that State, as well it will affect your licence here and your insurance.

If you pay the ticket and plead guilty....same as above

2) NEVER PLEAD GUILTY

3) Set-up a court appearance and plead with the judge. From what I've heard, they are usually real good with Canadians.

4) Be professional, dress for the part, and make up the biggest bull crap story without exaggerating too much.

5) If he finds you guilty, appeal the decision and have a trial. Then email me for more info when you get to that level.

Hope that helps!

When you count your time and your gas to drive to court two or three times (pleading, appealing, etc.) wouldn't you be better to just pay the fine and be done with it?

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Perhaps, that's why I'm gathering info now asap and try to weight out my options of either :
    1) just send in and plea guilty with a letter to explain (aka bargain) the situition abit
    2) plea not guilty and go to court myself (~1 hour drive) and hope for a chance to talk to the judge
    3) go for tic fighter

The annoying thing is the ticket has no set fine amount. I even asked the cop and he wouldn't say how much it may cost, so i still haven't got an idea how much the tic will cost me if I decide to pay it out right. But if what happened in those 2 links I posted above, see "Highway Robbery".... I maybe looking at ~$500USD even if I volunterrily plea guilty AND yet still may get points on my driver license which will haunt me during insurnace renewal for minimum of 3 more years.

I duno really... waiting for the quote from X-Copper now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast