Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saltwater Swimming Pool

Hey guys,

So I know saltwater pools are very popular in Australia and are slowly making
    there way to North America. Does anybody here run a saltwater pool?

I just have a cheap 8 foot pool we used last summer, the inflatable ring pool.
    I hate having to use chlorine in it and it still got slimy a few times. So I was
    thinking.... hmmmmmmmmm maybe go saltwater, no slime and should be less maintenance and better for your health.

Anyone try this?
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

My sister-in-law has an in-ground pool that is 'brackish' water.
    Little or no chlorine if I remember correctly.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Well my pool has a pump and filter system ) Maybe I just dump 3 bags of Ocean Pure salt in there! lol I mean if it's good enough for the fish should be human safe :wink5:
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

Do I hear outside aquarium?? :biggrinbo
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Jacuzzi? lots of flow eh?
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

My brother had one installed last year. His shed has tons of electronic gears in there: monitoring gizmos, pump, etc... Also has a gaz heater for it. Nice setup.

If you have specific questions, I could fire him an email with your questions.

8)
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Now how much fun would it be to throw in a few hardy SW fish in the pool! JK... but it would be neat.. swimming with your fish, not just looking at them!
    Health Before All :wink5:

liv
    I read about this a while back.. it was on a few tv shows last summer too.
    seem to be making its way in the states quite a bit. let us know if you do with the results.

I can help out here.

I used to live in Australia, and actually had and maintianed an in-ground saltwater pool. In fact, where I lived in Souteast Queensland, all of the pools were saltwater.

It's a bit of a myth that saltwater pools are not chlorinated. You just don't actually add chlorine.

Salt, is sodium chloride, ie: sodium and chlorine. With a saltwater pool, you continuously add salt to the water, and the water passes through a pair of electrodes which seperate the sodium and the chlorine. The sodium sticks to the electrodes, and the "chlorinated water" returns to the pool. A very simple, easy to maintain setup. The only thing I had to do on a regular basis (say once a week), was take a stiff brush and remove the built-up sodium from the electrodes, and add salt.

Also, the salinity level of the pool I maintained, or others that I swam in, were not that high....not like ocean water, but maybe a touch saltier than brackish.

Is it safe to say that there is less Cl- ions in the water at any given time? That it seems like less and therefore less bothersome?

I've heard of saltwater pools, but, never experienced it myself. I was under the impression that between the electrodes the Na and Cl separated, but, the Cl that wasn't reacted away attacking impurities rebonded with the Na to remain salt [I guess disolved salt? not sure if that makes sense - what I was told by someone].
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast