Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO water

RO water

Ok so here's my stupid story on my RO unit. I got home last night from Cape Breton for my fiancee's bridal shower and noticed that I was running low on RO water. Fine and dandy i'll just make some more. So I turn on the unit and I figured like I always do instead of wasting the water down the drain put it in the washing machine. Well I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought of was the RO unit!!!! Oh S$%T I forgot to turn it off. So tearing through the house in my boxers down the two flights of stairs I was thinking to myself "I guess this is a good time to figure out if the washing machine has an overflow drain." Nope!!!! there was water everywhere. Thank God it was on a concrete floor and there was a drain right next to the washing machine. Now i'm wondering how many other people have done this themselves?? I sure know I'm not the only one..........well I hope. LOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Not the washing machine but

no comment

I've done this twice myself. Except I forgot the RO/DI unit was on and it overflowed my storage container. Once it just spilled a bit (onto a concrete floor), the second time, I think I used every towel in the house to clean it up! (no drain in the room)

Two weeks ago, our washing machine drain broke, and two cycles of water ended up on the floor in the same room. This caused us to replace half the lamanent (sp?) flooring in our apartment. And then 2 nights ago when hooking up my sump, before drilling my siphon break holes and test the setup, I overflowed my sump onto the floor in my living room!

So don't feel bad that you have bad luck with your RO/DI unit, cause no matter how bad it gets, I probably have worse luck!
    My 75 gallon Reef Diary: http://blog.seanmcg.com/?cat=13&submit=GO

75 Gallon AGA, 25 gallon sump, Mag 7 & Lifereef Overflow, 80lbs of Tonga Deepwater, 2 x 250w 14000K MH, 2 x 110w VHO actinics, Moonlights, Coralife Super Skimmer 3002, 3 x Maxijet 1200 on a Wavemaster Pro

YEP...enough said :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hey Mike,
    did it once then I built a waste water storage tank that I can use to fill the washing machine. I got a rubbermaid storage container (about 3 feet x 2 feetx 2feet high). Then I drilled a bottom bulkhead that runs to a hose that I use to fill the washer. The second bulkhead runs as an overflow to the sink. A washer uses an huge amount of water and even when I put the whole waste tank in it only fills up half the washer. My conscience and marriage are at ease. Come take a look sometime John

I'm going to wait until I move into the new house to rig something up. I'm going to have lots of room to do what ever i'm going to do and there's also a drain right next to where i'm going to be doing it. LOL Just in case!!! Cheers!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

One, semi-simple solution is to have a overflow line from your bucket to the drain. You can do this for the good RO/DI water and for the saved waste water.

All I used is a JohnGuest - Male 1/4" NPT elbow (one side threads into a tapped hole the other is the quick connect for 3/8" hose). I put this at the high water mark and ran it to a drain. This is my backup. I also have a TMM style controller for my 20 gallon RO/DI bucket. I have to admit that I currently don't keep any waste water.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

This is probably a stupid question, but does the waste water have a higher TDS than the water entering into the RO unit? I am thinking that it also contains all the trapped solids on the outside of the RO membrane. I guess that even if it does have a higher TDS it is not going to affect the washing, it just may not be suitable for drinking. I do not save or re-use any of my waste water and I am starting to feel that I should.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

It only has a slightly higher TDS, but it has the gone thrue the pre-filter. I theory there is no cholorine left, so it should be prefect for watering the plants or the garden.

-yvest

Waste water will be 10-25% higher in TDS than the incoming water reaching the RO membrane (the exact number depends on your specific waste ratio). As noted above, the prefilters will pull out particulate matter (a more important factor for washing) and chemicals that react with Carbon.

But, other than the Chlorine or Chloramine, there isn't much in raw water that will hurt either plants or clothes. Unless you have extremely hard water which is staining the clothes now.

I'm contemplating directing the waste water to my rain barrel, but, it is currently a fair distance from the filter.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast