Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wireless networking ...

... is sucking my will to live.

Any guru's out there? Basically I need to bridge 2 networks in my house, both networks are to be wired, but the bridge between them needs to be wireless.

It also needs to be transparent. The applicances on Network B aren't going to let me choose much of anything. They'll request a IP via DHCP & then go looking for a server. (Actually both networks have to appear to be the same)

I bought a pair of Belkin F5D7230-4 because you're supposed to be able to do that. But (just my luck) the latest version no long supports bridging & can't be flashed to an firmware that does. (Lucky me.)

So I've taken one back & now I need suggestions. Currently I only have one device on network B, I'm willing to forego network B & just make it wireless, if somebody can suggest a wireless G device that can accomplish this. (I can't pick a network to join with this, I can only plug a cat5/6 cable into it.)

And now my head's about ready to explode....

Anyone?
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Why do you need such a complex set-up?

Our university is recommending switches rather than routers when they need to connect a small LAN in a teaching/research room to their main LAN router. Whether this would help (and whether you can get wireless switches) I don't know.
    Nick

I've never done this myself but you should be able to do with two access points. Just don't use routers.

-yvest

Basically it's for 2 reasons. I'm trying to go wireless, but not all of my gear supports wireless. So I have to pound a square peg into a round hole for a couple items.

I would love to find a wireless switch. If you know of one it would fit the bill. All I can find are wireless routers, which can be made to act like a switch, but they're not really ideal for my application. Hell I'd be happy with a wireless hub if they made one.

Cheers!

I'm looking into access points, I'm just looking for recommendations. The problem I'm running into is "access point" isn't terribly well defined.

One company uses this to describe adding wireless access to a wired router / switch / hub, but the access point won't bridge. Bridging is what I require so I'm looking for a setup that does that.

I'm also considering getting a wireless game access point and uplinking a hub to it just to see what happens.

Still if somebody knows what I need, it'll save my wife from having a heart-attack when the master card bill comes in (returns take much longer to process than purchases do lol)

Cheers!

Futureshop has a couple hubs that might work for ya...
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/sub...02&catid=19996

My suggestion is to check computer referb stores for the older Belkin routers, but other wise one of those futureshop products might help you out.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

An access point IS a bridge between a wired and a wireless network...

From: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

'You can also use the Wireless-G Access Point as a kind of "cable-less cable" to connect remote areas together. Maybe Shipping is all the way across the warehouse from Receiving. Or maybe you want to set up a home office in your detached garage. With one Wireless-G Access Point in the garage and another one in the house, you're connected at up to 54Mbps with no cable to run.'

HTH!

-yvest

Also look at page 42 of the manuel on the same page...

Thanks for the links. The Linksys is out, it's only a repeater without any ports as far as I can see.

The Belkin bluetooth might do it, I'll have to look into it more.... it's a bit pricey though.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a game adaptor & seeing where that takes me at this point.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by goth
    An access point IS a bridge between a wired and a wireless network...

From: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

'You can also use the Wireless-G Access Point as a kind of "cable-less cable" to connect remote areas together. Maybe Shipping is all the way across the warehouse from Receiving. Or maybe you want to set up a home office in your detached garage. With one Wireless-G Access Point in the garage and another one in the house, you're connected at up to 54Mbps with no cable to run.'

HTH!

-yvest
    Cool, the crap I picked up from Belkin doesn't work that way. Thier idea of access point seems to require running a cable between the two routers. Which totally defeats the purpose.

Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast