Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plasma vs. lcd

plasma vs. lcd

hey guys i know this is a little off topic but ive got my mind all twisted up in making the right choice for a tv. ive meen looking at a samsung plasma or a sony lcd. they are two different tvs but im just wondering if anyone has either of these and has any review on them. i looked at reviews on the net but where esle can i get the best reviews other then good ol' ac. HELP wanted!! and i hope all is well with all your guys tanks are doing good!

justin

Ask Mathew Aumont, he's a member here and he works in an electronic store. He might get you better prices also.
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

I went with HDPlasma over LCD because the LCD required bulb replacement and the colors appeared better on the Plasma. It has better black reproduction as i understand it. Apparently DLP has the best color reproduction, however, like LCD, they are not the best for fast action movies. In the end, get the one that looks best to you and go with the plan of keeping it for ten years.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Yeah Matt was a big help when we were looking.

In a nutshell, I eliminated plasma becuase they still loose brightness over time and they have a finite amount of briteness. In order to show you an explosion in a movie for example, a plasma might need to dim the entire display.

I can't rember the drawback on an LCD other than price, but there were some downsides to it as well, but personally I prefer LCDs over plasma (everything else being equal).

I'm sure Matt can provide many more details.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ijo
    We ended up going with LCD(40" Sony Bravia) over plasma as we found the picture quality much better with LCD. The plasma screen was nice but it felt like we were looking through a window with its shinny glass screen cover... on the other hand... the LCD felt like the window was open(no window). Did I mention the xbox looks awesome on it aswell? hehe

IJO

I fyour looking for thin plasma and lcd are great. If size isn't much of an issue, then go dlp. From what I understand plasma and lcd have to have "so many" pixels burnt out before someone will come and service them. So you end up with voids in your picture. This is not the case with dlp though. PLus side by side, I have found the dlp looks more natural.....to me.
    Jason

My parents just bought a Samsung LCD (4000:1 contrast). The picture is really excellent. Our only complaint so far is that the TV is slow to turn on and there is a noticable delay in the picture display when changing channels (an issue for channel surfing). However, I'm told that this is a generic issue with all LCD (and plasma) TVs. not an issue with Samsung.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nickb
    My parents just bought a Samsung LCD (4000:1 contrast). The picture is really excellent. Our only complaint so far is that the TV is slow to turn on and there is a noticable delay in the picture display when changing channels (an issue for channel surfing). However, I'm told that this is a generic issue with all LCD (and plasma) TVs. not an issue with Samsung.
    Can't the human eye only see like 2000:1 contrast?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Scrap that last post,

Wikipedia:
    Dynamic range
    At any given instant, the retina can resolve a contrast ratio of around 100:1 (about 6 1/2 stops). As soon as your eye moves (saccades) it re-adjusts its exposure both chemically and by adjusting the iris. Initial dark adaptation takes place in approximately four seconds of profound, uninterrupted darkness; full adaptation through adjustments in retinal chemistry (the Purkinje effect) are mostly complete in thirty minutes. Hence, over time, a contrast ratio of about 1,000,000:1 (about 20 stops) can be resolved. The process is nonlinear and multifaceted, so an interruption by light nearly starts the adaptation process over again. Full adaptation is dependent on good blood flow; thus dark adaptation may be hampered by poor circulation, and vasoconstrictors like alcohol or tobacco.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Don't forget that if you plan on doing any gaming or hooking up your computer to the tv then LCD is your only choice. I've been asking around about tv's myself and found out after asking about 10 different salespeople that if you plan on running Media Center to your plasma tv, it will kill it. LCD can handle it. If you are only going to be watching tv and movies from a dvd player, then plasma is fine.

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...ma-vs-lcd.html

Hope that link will help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast