Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Computer :)

ToX

New Computer :)

Ok so I,m getting myself a new computer to start school :hysterica in montreal in september and I was looking to spend under 2500$ and this is what I came up with, can you tell me if this will all work thx

Thermaltake Tsunami Case
    OCZ GameXStream SLI 600W
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe :true dual x16 sli
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 4800+ /2.4ghz /1mb 1mb
    Kingston hyperx ddr2-800 1gb 5-5-5-15
    ASUS GeForce EN7900GTX 512mb pci
    Western Digital 320 gb 16mb cache sata 7200

I will be using the following from my present computer
    Audigy 2 Platinum SoundCard
    Plextor dvd px-708a

will this all work together????

As you can see it's not all for school
    thx

Banned
    I assume that pci was PCIE. If you can get a MSI GF instead of the ASUS. MSI's a bit higher end and more reliable. If you're going to do any gaming than you'll need more than 1gig of ram. The mother board comes with 7.1 if you need the Audigy for resale of your old computer. To be honest, the sound card will take a few cycles off the cpu but not what I'd use for gaming.

As long as it will play Battlefield2, it will do! :speedbana
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe -> I've been using that mobo for a couple months & I'm quite happy with it & the dual RAID controllers. But unless you're going to go RAID or SLI, or plan to you're spending more on the board than you need to.

Might not be an issue to you, but SLI is an ATI standard, & you're getting an nVidia card....

Look at getting 2 smaller drivers & striping them with that mobo, you'll get much better drive throughput with RAID0.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ToX
    sli is a nvidia stantard
    crossfire is ati standart

I was going sli after like 6 months
    I don't know what RAID is??? lol

I'll go and look at the msi

I'll put 2 gigs then
    Is kingston any good??? or should I buy the corsair?

You know I should really finish my coffee in the morning before getting into anything technical.

Ya got me, I reversed ATI & nVidia, my bad.

RAID -> Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives.

That board does RAID0, RAID1, RAID0+1, RAID5, RAID10, and JBOD. On my board at least one controller is SATA1 & the other is SATA2. The SATA1 Controller does RAID everything, the SATA2 Controller only does RAID0, 1, & JBOD (it might do 0+1)

Anywhooo.

RAID0 allows you to stripe the data across multiple drives. The advantage of this is that you distribute the throughput across the number of drives in the array. So if you have 3 drives you can read & right 3 times as fast. Okay that's an outright lie, but that's the general idea. RAID0 is pretty much as fast as you're going to get.

The down side is that if you lose 1 drive in the array you loose everything.

RAID1 is mirroring. Everything that's on Drive A is on Drive B. This is the best data security.

RAID0+1 requires 4 drives. It's a mirrored pair of RAID0 drives.

RAID5 is striping with checksum. Basically A+B=C. So if you loose a drive, you can still figure out what was on the array. This is a good compromise between reliability & speed. Requires a minimum of 3 drives.

RAID10 I'm told is RAID0+1. I thought there was a subtle difference, but I'll be darned if I can remeber it.

JBOD is just a bunch of drives. You striped them together to make it look like one drive to the system.

Drives should be very closely spec'd for RAID, ideally identical make & model. Unless you're using JBOD. But with mount points in Windows now, I don't see any advantage to JBOD anymore.

Anyway, my system using that mobo is RAID0. I have another IDE drive that I've scheduled a nightly backup of "My Documents" to it, should I ever loose the RAID array.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have a few suggestions (all my oppinion, of course).

Thermaltake Tsunami Case:
    Good case, I prefer the Antec P180, but this one is great too.

OCZ GameXStream SLI 600W
    I haven't tried the OCZ PSU's myself (I stick with antec mostly), but they're getting good reviews. This looks like a decent choice.

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe :true dual x16 sli
    Very good quality board. Unfortunately ASUS marks up the price quite a bit do to the "True dual x16 SLI" which in all honesty is a fairly useless feature at the moment (pci-e tech isn't fast enough to take advantage of it yet). But if you plan on keeping it for a while, this could be a very good choice. You'll be happy with it regardless.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 4800+ /2.4ghz /1mb 1mb
    Insanely expensive for the slight increase in performance over a 4200 or 4400. Personally, I'd save the 400 bucks ... just my oppionion, of course. The markup on the top tier components is just massive compared to the small upgrade in performance they offer, so I generally suggest going one or two levels below ... there are exceptions of course.

Kingston hyperx ddr2-800 1gb 5-5-5-15
    That motherboard doesn't support ddr2, you'll need to go with ddr400/500 (Kingston is good, I usually go with corsair or OCZ)

ASUS GeForce EN7900GTX 512mb pci
    ASUS is not known for their video cards, I strongly suggest going with EVGA ... they produce BFG quality cards for a fair bit less money. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=eVGA
    7900 gtx is a great card (I have one in my notebook); but again, very expensive since they're still fairly new.

Western Digital 320 gb 16mb cache sata 7200
    Great drive ... if someone else is setting it up for you, you may want to consider getting two of these and setting them up in a RAID0 (spanning one partition across two drives, to increase read/write/scan performance).

The sound card and dvd drive are fine. In my experience, onboard sound tends to be garbage, so definitely keep the soundblaster.

ToX
    Ok so everything has change LOL

I bought the coolermaster stacker case (Cooler Master Stacker 810 ATX - CC-CM-RC-810) it as been orderd
    going with Intel Conroe E6700 (X6800 is waay too expensive)
    motherboard, I'm waiting for a decend mb with chipset 5 (Nvidia SLI) to be release
    going with 2gb Ocz 800mhz ddr2

Video Card I don't know witch one to get 7900gtx 512mb (Xfx vs BFG)

what you all think???

i'm gonna go ahead and give u the downlow about buying a computer for university, as i am a student my self.

get a laptop, Asus makes great high-end laptops capable of gaming (high-rez, stand alone pcie video cards like ati x1600, tv-in, built in subwoofers, webcam, etc) if thats what you want.

trust me, desktops are overrated unless ur a really high-high end user.

imagine being able to hand in assignments without having to run home, watching movie and chatting on MSN in class (*sigh* guilty), and playing games on the school's dime (assuming they offer wireless).

ToX
    all my classes have computers in them (high end)
    I live across the street from the university (residence)
    laptops always break, you pay twice teh money for the same power, lcd screen sucks
    and as you can see from the equipement I'm looking at, NO laptop is gonna come near this
    laptop get stolen
    I have network access from my residence (internet too) its all free

I though about a laptop but a desktop is what I need

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast