Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Home Theatre in a Box... Suggestions?

Hey y'all..

I know that there's some Home Audio/Video buffs here, so I thought I'd see what you all think is the latest and greatest HTIB system out there right now.

- I'm looking for something that is under $600
    - Tall boy front speakers, small rear speakers
    - supports many formats
    - Dependable
    - Has A/V inputs (thinking of adding a ROKU SoundBridge to it as well)

So far, I've been looking at the

LG LH-T9654MB

LG LH-E9674PA

Samsung HT-TQ72

I'm open to thoughts, suggestions... please...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I'd be somewhat concerned buying anything with a built in DVD player. I've replaced my dvd player about 3 times in the last 5 years, the amp I've upgraded once in 7 years.

Yamaha makes decient systems, I picked up one of their av & speaker combos during the boxing day blow out last year & I'm pretty happy with it. (I'll be darned if I can recall the model number right now.) I just switched everything over to toslink & wow it does make a difference.

Check the brick, they're blowing out last years display models. I picked up a (thier regular price) $400 Sony DVD player for $58. No remote (I have a harmony took 45 seconds to download the codes) and no manual (pdf file now on my hardrive at home).

If you can live without having a toslink for mp3 playback & you'd like to watch movies as well as listen to mp3s, check out the hauppauge MVP: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ..._mediamvp.html I have the wired version, which I've converted (with some pain) to wireless. I suggest if you want wireless you just buy the wireless version.

You might want to look for a set of stands rather than limit yourself to only kits containing tallboy front speakers.

You also need to consider how you'll be using the amp. Will you use it to switch video sources or select them from the TV? Is it an HD tv? What kind of video input does it require & can the amp / dvd combo accomidate it?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I've actually been really happy with my old Panasonic DVD player. It's a top of the line model from 6 years ago with built-in Dolby decoder, and it's always worked flawlessly; thus why i never gave replacing it any thought. My only issue with it is that it doesn't support any other digital formats.

While I'd love to be able to have a separate amp/dvd component setup, I feel that I'd be really limiting myself to something with fewer options due to the budget that i've set.

I'll look into the Brick, see what they have.. .

The Hauppage MVP looks interesting, but the ROKU also allows me to stream directly from the 'net, and has built-in wireless.

The reason i specified tallboy's, is because I like the look of them, and am kinda confined in terms of space.

My current TV is a 27" Panasonic GAOO, not HD, but will eventually upgrade to an HD TV.

I understand being on a budget, but if you have a DVD player you're happy with, why not spend the money on the amp & speakers & use your current DVD until there's a need to upgrade?
    Actually, one of the main reasons fueling this upgrade is because i'm unhappy with the format support (or lack thereof) with my current DVD player. Having no USB host play, MPEG video playback, MP3, DivX, WMA, JPEG support sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    I understand being on a budget, but if you have a DVD player you're happy with, why not spend the money on the amp & speakers & use your current DVD until there's a need to upgrade?

We changed DVDs so often, in fairness, because I've got small children & they're pretty hard on the dvd player.

Cheers!

I would personally go this way but if you really want to go htiab I'd say go with yamaha as you have the components seperate (well 3 years ago they did when I installed home theatres) and I find them very good (for htiab).
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    Actually, one of the main reasons fueling this upgrade is because i'm unhappy with the format support (or lack thereof) with my current DVD player. Having no USB host play, MPEG video playback, MP3, DivX, WMA, JPEG support sucks.

Hmm.. that was strange, I overwrote your message Krugar... I musta clicked edit by mistake... :crap:

Quote Originally Posted by bebitte70
    I would personally go this way but if you really want to go htiab I'd say go with yamaha as you have the components seperate (well 3 years ago they did when I installed home theatres) and I find them very good (for htiab).
    Hmm... I'll look into the Yamaha line, see what they have available.

Quote Originally Posted by tang_man_montreal
    Hmm.. that was strange, I overwrote your message Krugar... I musta clicked edit by mistake... :crap:
    <rolls up newspaper>

Bad mod! BAD! Bad mod!

no worries

Anyway I'd check the clearance sales. 'tis the season for 2007 models, and last years stuff has to go. Generally you have to go in store to find the really good deals, but if you don't care about the box, manual, or remote you can get stuff for a song.

As long as you have a good universal remote your set.

Cheers!

My home entertainment center now consists of a networked pc can't beat it it can play anything if the dvd drive fails replace it, you can have a full media library.. using a sb 7.1 card gonna probably toss my kenwood theater in a box in the trash and get the sb 7.1 digital speaker system
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

Do you need special speakers to set-up a home theater sound system? I've got four old floor standing speakers. Could they be used as components of a multi-speaker home theater system?
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast