Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Britney gave me a virus

Man Ive been had!!

This morning as I logged into AC there was a thread that offered nude photos of britney spears, the problem is that now I have my home page on internet explorer is "isafetypage.com" telling me my computer is infected and that they can sell me the cure for $49.99. What a hassle. There is obviously something that has taken over my computer and it seems synmantec cant deal with it. What should I do?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Unhappy

yep, I clicked on it because its been moved to the MOD area and my PC completely froze

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    yep, I clicked on it because its been moved to the MOD area and my PC completely froze
    Funny how these virus people always know how to get you to clic onto something. Just put a naked chick with a link, surely a high percentage of men will clic.

Johny, there must be a way out of this without having to pay 50 us dollars. If you find anything keep me posted and ill do the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reefsurfer
    Funny how these virus people always know how to get you to clic onto something. Just put a naked chick with a link, surely a high percentage of men will clic.

Johny, there must be a way out of this without having to pay 50 us dollars. If you find anything keep me posted and ill do the same.

Thanks
    Reefsurfer, I suspsect that page is a spoof just to make you panic and pay them 50$ for nothing. Just run a viral scan and or a spyware removal program such as spyware search and destroy (free). That should take care of it ( whatever it maybe).

BTW I also saw that thread this morning, interesting images on an aquaria forum. I actually though it was going to be pictures of a rare type of SPS some bought!!!!! I need help :errr:...SPSwise

No virus or problems found on my PC.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by reefsurfer
    Man Ive been had!!

This morning as I logged into AC there was a thread that offered nude photos of britney spears, the problem is that now I have my home page on internet explorer is "isafetypage.com" telling me my computer is infected and that they can sell me the cure for $49.99. What a hassle. There is obviously something that has taken over my computer and it seems synmantec cant deal with it. What should I do?

BTW reefsurfer, do you have your firewall enable, installed. The website basically change your homepage to theirs.....bastards eh!. To correct the home page problem just go into you IE OR firefox option menu and change it back to your homepage of choice and install or turn on your firewall!

HTH
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Where is this link now ? (I am curious how just clicking can infect)
    Can also post the complete url for 'new' home page ?

I went to the isafetypage, and looks like a scam to me...
    I wouldn't give them any money for a cure -- it would probably be like
    upgrading from a cold to aids ;-)

Are you sure you are really infected ? Might just be a scare tactic ?
    The site 'looks' impressive, and shows you seemingly 'private' info, but this is all standard info the browser sends to the host site directly, or that easily be interpulated. (it says I am from US, but sitting here in kanata... my IP is got from vpn hosted in US -- I have seen users 'signature' tell me more (accurate) info about my system than this page ;-)

Changing your default home page is just a cfg item. Can easily change it back.
    You'd think since they could change your cfg, they could do more serious stuff. But, your browser probably keeps this file always 'open', so it is more vulerable...

I use Netscape as browser -- I do not trust MS apps like IE/outlook as they
    are too integrated with OS, and have many security issues...

-mike

Quote Originally Posted by gophia
    BTW reefsurfer, do you have your firewall enable, installed. The website basically change your homepage to theirs.....bastards eh!. To correct the home page problem just go into you IE OR firefox option menu and change it back to your homepage of choice and install or turn on your firewall!

HTH

Thanks gophia, when i go check my internet options, Im shown that my home page is still google but somehow their home page comes on every time??

Also I have 2 different tool bar icons(bottom right hand side of screen) that are flashing. An exclamation mark telling me with anoying popups "system performance monitor warning" and a question mark saying "critical system error"...
    Im not too sure what a fire wall is but I do have norton anti vius (synmantec) and ran a scan as soon as it happened but it didnt do anything.

How do I instal a firewall?

Thanks for your help.

check for a file like : gl3xv6g5.exe
    under c:\doc&setting\userid\local settings\TEMP\gl3xv6g5

(page is persistent: kept trying to save it as gl3xv6g5-1.exe, gl3xv6g5-2.exe ...etc)

wrt firewall: sugest you buy a $10-20 router (dlink/linksys etc)
    and _dont_ rely on the builtin MS firewall...

(sorry, I don't mean to bash MS, but ...)

for home page issue, go to google (or other) and set home page to 'current'.
    there may be a hidden redirector in url to make it look like it is still pointing to previous home page...
    if that doesn't work, select "none", APPLY, and try again...

-mike

Grab these from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

Run both & see if it helps. If not let me know & we'll get more detailed.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by mdugly
    )

wrt firewall: sugest you buy a $10-20 router (dlink/linksys etc)
    and _dont_ rely on the builtin MS firewall...

(sorry, I don't mean to bash MS, but ...)

-mike
    Actually XP SP2 firewall is quite good if it's configured correctly. Configuring firewalls is a $60,000+ job, so it's not surprising that not everyone knows how to do it.

The $10-20 router has zippo for a firewall. It'll NAT, port forward, possibly translate, and likely port trigger. A real firewall appliance will cost a lot more than $20.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast