Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone an electrician?

Okay I'm out of ideas.

The outlet to the right of my stove just up & quit. The one to the left is fine. From memory they're on the the same breaker and it looks logical that the one on the left is "up stream" from the one on the right.

I replaced the outlet & didn't solve anything (matched the red, black, white, & bare wires all to the same spots on the new outlet)

Bought a probe to test the lines & all of them are dead. The outlet before (left of the stove) at the marettes:

White & Black -> live
    White & Red -> live
    Red & Black -> live

The outlet that's borked, has no marettes, but no combination of white, black, or red leads gets the probe to light up.

The panel doesn't have anything obviously wrong with it, and none of the breakers tripped. For fun I turned each off & back on just to see what would happen.

About all it did was screw up my ORP probe...

I'm completely out of ideas... What should I try next?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

remebmer that the counter top outlets most times are "split" meaning that the top and bottom of the receptacle are 110w ea,this is to handle higher than normal load due to kitchen apppliances.there is a brass bridge on the side of the receptacle that must be snipped on both sides to seperate the top and bottom of plug.this may or may not be the case.check the old plug for the bridge.otherewise you need a continuence tester to see whats wrong and where.

I didn't split the outlet, but I don't think that's the issue. There's no power on any combination of lines being hooked up to the outlet.

How do I find out where those wires lead to check continuity? I think they lead to the outlet on the left of the stove, but if they don't my tests aren't going to be terribly productive either...

Thanks!

Pop the breaker and check that first for contunity, good news is it's internally blown bad news would be your wire blew somewhere in the wall.
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

How do I tell which breaker it's going to? Normally I'd plug in a light & flip breakers until my wife yells it's off... The panel was never labelled well unfortunately, been on my todo list for a while.

Cheers!

Typing for Chris here....

Usually all the breakers for the kitchen are "bunched" together on your panel, so you could, using the light plugged in trick, try to isolate that breaker. Since you're there bring a permanent marker with you to identify the other breakers at the same time (that's the wife talking lol )

Also you are talking about an outlet on the wall and not the outlets ON the stove right? Because my stove as 2 outlets on it, one on the right and one on the left and that's as simple as changing the internal fuse inside the panel from the stove ... but that's probably not the case.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Yeah it's an outlet on the wall, both are next to the stove.

I managed to find out which one it was. It affects 3 outlets in the house. Now I need to find a way to test continuity over several feet. My meter is ment for electronics lol, I'm not sure it'll work.

Anway, one of the 3 outlets (basically in the middle) is spliced to go to a second outlet.

Basically what I'm thinking now is if it runs to the "left" outlet (working) then I may have blown part of the grouped breaker.

If it runs "right" to the non-working outlet, then the problem is likely in the short run of wiring to the non functional outlet.

Lucky me, that's probably all behind the cupboards. I'm also conviencing myself I can smell a bit of ozone when the power is on, but since nobody else can it might just me fearing the worst....

Cheers!

Kruger, youve got a red wire in a wall outlet??seems to me that indicates a remote switch like a three way in a stairwell. go check for a wall switch that dosent do anything.lol Steve

I managed to find out which one it was. It affects 3 outlets in the house. Now I need to find a way to test continuity over several feet. My meter is ment for electronics lol, I'm not sure it'll work.

Just plug in an extension cord to the affected plug and check it to the "live" plug (that you have removed power from at the fuse panel prior to doing the test).

With are with you...let us know what happens next.
    (This stuff is way better than a reality show anytime).
    I have a lot of Patients

I had the same thing happen a few weeks back in the kitchen.
    kitchen plugs can be split and what happened to me was 1 outlet [of the 2] was tripping a weak breaker but the breaker wasn't tripping all the way so you couldn't tell. It was just a old breaker and chenging it out was fine.
    if your outlet was working before then there really can be only 2 issues that I can think of.
    #1. dead short [wire got pinched/cut some how]
    #2. weak breaker.[cutting power to just one outlet but not totally tripping]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast