Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

aquaripure DEnitrifiers...anyone got one, anyone could say a bit about them?

http://aquaripure.com/

here is the site. Sounds pretty sound.

What do the experts think?

Put this on along with a protien skimmer and you should have the cleanest water in the world???
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

liv
    i'm no expert.. but I've been reading on this exact subject in one of my books. from the description, they are saying that its better then a sulfur based denitrator.. and that may be true.. as the sulfur ones need to be buffered on its way out.. it also contributes to the creation of bacteria blamed for hydrogen sulfur.. ( nasty stuff ).. but their coil doesn't seem to be that much better then lets say.. using a 6" abs tube of 24"-30" cap one end. install a screw on cap, add a 100' coil of 1/4" hdpe tube coil it all inside and add bio balls. then make an in and an out to it.. tada.. coil denitrator diy.. I made one.. but I never had much of a Nitrate prob so far.. so its proven useless for me.. so took it apart. and reused the parts for something else.

if you have a nitrate prob.. i'd try making my own instead.. they are asking alot in my mind.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    http://aquaripure.com/

What do the experts think?
    i'm not sure what they think but ....... :b2:

IMO, the best and cheapest way to denitrify is to run a RDSB ( Remote Deep Sand Bed ). it is a totally natural means of denitrification and is just like having a DSB in your tank that is totally removable / replaceable if anything goes wrong.

i have been running a 5G RDSB for a year and a half and have no detectable nitrates. before the RDSB the nitrates in my tank were a continuous 15 - 20 ppm, now the chaeto in my sump doesn't even grow.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Re: Aquaripure

I am John Strawn, the owner of Aquaripure, LLC. Honestly, I don't understand why so many people who know nothing about my product and who have never used it go around disparaging it. By the way, it is NOT a coil denitrator. I was going to post links to several different forums with people who have actually used my product but this forum will not let me post links. I have a section on Fishforum.com you can look at a few of them them there if you want.

John Strawn
    Aquaripure, LLC

ijo
    Maybe you could tell us a little more about your product... Am I on the right track by saying it seems like an external filter filled with some sort of bioballs(or other high surface area media). You feed the unit a carbon source and let the beneficial bacteria do its job.

I was feeding one of our basement corals tanks sugar for a while and noticed a huge improvement in water clarity and reduced algae... What I didn't like was the unpure sugar... I figured it more than like contained unwanted metals/whatever and would feel much better with a pure carbon source. I can't remember off hand but I thought there was Canadian company that offered such a product(price was also through the roof though)

Looking forward to your reply.(we want to know whats in the box!!! hehe)

IJO

re: Aquaripure

"Am I on the right track by saying it seems like an external filter filled with some sort of bioballs(or other high surface area media). You feed the unit a carbon source and let the beneficial bacteria do its job."

That is exactly correct. It contains a VERY high surface area media (moreso than bioballs.)

Table sugar is actually a very consistent and refined product with few impurities. It works a little different in a denitrator than if you put it directly in a tank though. When you add it (or vodka) to a tank it will cause a bit of a bacterial bloom and then the bacteria absorb nitrates and the skimmer can capture the bacteria thus reducing nitrates in a secondary fashion. There may be some anaerobic action but I think the improvement of water quality is mostly due to the skimmer capturing the excess bacteria. The problem is that there is a very real danger in accidentally dosing too much and creating too much of a bacterial bloom, killing all the fish and coral. The fish can die due to both a lack of oxygen and also due to the by products of the bacteria. Also, without a good skimmer the benefits of this method is greatly reduced if not eliminated.

With the Aquaripure denitrator the anaerobic action causes a complete breakdown of all organic matter into gasses and there is no danger of overdosing as this happens in a very controlled environment. Moreover, a skimmer is not even needed, making it suitable for all tanks. The Aquaripure acts as a comprehensive biological filter, breaking down all organic matter and nitrates completely into gasses which then escape into the atmosphere as the gasses such as Nitrogen are not nearly as soluble in water as CO2 and O2.

John Strawn
    Aquaripure, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by johnstrawn View Post
    "Am I on the right track by saying it seems like an external filter filled with some sort of bioballs(or other high surface area media). You feed the unit a carbon source and let the beneficial bacteria do its job."

That is exactly correct. It contains a VERY high surface area media (moreso than bioballs.)

Table sugar is actually a very consistent and refined product with few impurities. It works a little different in a denitrator than if you put it directly in a tank though. When you add it (or vodka) to a tank it will cause a bit of a bacterial bloom and then the bacteria absorb nitrates and the skimmer can capture the bacteria thus reducing nitrates in a secondary fashion. There may be some anaerobic action but I think the improvement of water quality is mostly due to the skimmer capturing the excess bacteria. The problem is that there is a very real danger in accidentally dosing too much and creating too much of a bacterial bloom, killing all the fish and coral. The fish can die due to both a lack of oxygen and also due to the by products of the bacteria. Also, without a good skimmer the benefits of this method is greatly reduced if not eliminated.

With the Aquaripure denitrator the anaerobic action causes a complete breakdown of all organic matter into gasses and there is no danger of overdosing as this happens in a very controlled environment. Moreover, a skimmer is not even needed, making it suitable for all tanks. The Aquaripure acts as a comprehensive biological filter, breaking down all organic matter and nitrates completely into gasses which then escape into the atmosphere as the gasses such as Nitrogen are not nearly as soluble in water as CO2 and O2.

John Strawn
    Aquaripure, LLC
    WOW...right from the creator of the unit...THANK YOU SO MUCH. IJO...your site is incredible to have this type of feedback.
    PS "The Aquaripure acts as a comprehensive biological filter, breaking down all organic matter and nitrates completely into gasses which then escape into the atmosphere as the gasses such as Nitrogen are not nearly as soluble in water as CO2 and O2." Isn't that the EXACT same thing that ocean waves do?

Well i get my 90 gallon tank in 3weeks. I am going to purchase one of these units, and try it out.

Thank you so much John for that explaination. I think that helped me make my decision.
    PS do you ship to the cayman islands 8)
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

This same type of process is everywhere in nature ... in groundwater, in the ocean, even in our own bodies ... it's very natural. Let me know if there is anything else.

John Strawn
    Aquaripure, LLC

i'm sorry if it came off as if i was putting your product down, i was just stating what i have seen and read and my own opinion. just a few more questions for you then ......

if dosing sugar or vodka is dangerous and should be avoided, what do you feed your nitrate filter? from what i read on your page you use sugar water or alcohol, is there a difference?

above you say that i don't need a skimmer, does that mean this filter will take the place of my skimmer too?

your web site also says that this unit reduces the need for water changes, is this right? IMO if you are using water changes to control nitrates you are barking up the wrong tree, that is like treating the symptom rather than the cause.

i apologize if i'm coming off as argumentative but i can't really see the difference between this and a good old DSB.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Using vodka or sucrose within a contained slow flow denitrator is much safer than just dumping it in the tank and it acts in a different way as already explained above. A deep sand bed just has limitations and the Aquaripure can handle a much larger bioload than any sand bed ever will. A sand bed might handle the nitrates in a very lightly stocked reef tank but that's about it. Also, you really have to be careful the sand bed isn't disturbed, releasing too much anoxic water or H2S in the tank at once. They work on the same principle but the Aquaripure provides much greater surface area and the ability to be fed carbon based nutrient which increases it's ability to process organic matter and nitrates tremendously. A skimmer is not needed with an Aquaripure. If a person had both they could keep the skimmer to help aerate the water but it is not needed.

There are many different ways to achieve a balanced aquarium and I can assure you the Aquaripure is in my honest opinion the safest, least time consuming, and most cost effective way to get there. It is an excellent choice for many, many aquarists. Of course you can argue my opinion is biased but you are entitled to your opinion as well.

John Strawn
    Aquaripure, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast