Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    liv

air exchanger...need advice.

ok, first winter with the 400g + sump + etc... with full lighting on.

house grew up in size over the last few years.. furnace is still ok, but air exchanger i'm not sure is up to par anymore. I added 600more sq foot to the house and added the tank.

main question, would you upgrade the existing system or install a second one ?
    the current unit is a cheapo installed in every new homes ( eapw90 ) good for something like 1200-1400sqfoot. max. my current feeling is upgrading to a HEPA 2000 or HEPA 3000 from Rona.

whats your thoughts on that ? any furnace / air guys around here ??
    please chime in.

thx

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

if you can afford the upgrade then go for it, make sure your HVAC guy is aware of the possible humidty issues. all I did is/was ran a small CFM fan in my dedicated fishroom with no issues as long as the room is closed off.
    there been talk about using your home system for salt water tanks [large]
    tied into your HVAC and its not a good idea appently. warm air, mold, corrosion etc.. check out the TOTM on RC. he has a neet setup

liv
    thx, just read through it.. makes sence.
    I think i'll upgrade my air exchanger unit and on top of that will try to get my hands on one of those fan units to vent outside. yes, its pretty much all sealed up, only leak to the rest of the basement is the bottom of the door.

Smile

you could even put a humistat on the fan and adjust it. you don't want a LARGE cfm as to change your pressure of the basement [ie,gas fired furnace and/or hotwater tank.
    the door is fine as it will just draw a little fresh air from the rec room.

liv
    ya.. i was thinking about the pressure thing too cauz i'm getting a wood stove.. I have to make sure air wants to go out.. not in... I'll try first with a bigger air exchanger unit.. will see where I stand..
    at the moment my home humidity is stable at ~45%.. but it was only -2 yesturday. and I have a dehumidifyer running as well.

Smile

why do you have the dehumid running? in the fall and winter you really don't want that running. it adds heat, costs hydro etc.. first get something to fins out your humidity level in the fishroom and basement and house in general.
    in the winter you want some humidity. I ran 4 x 400w on my 500g with just that small fan with no issues.

Hi, tank\water volume here at our place has drastically downsized over the last year. From running a 180g, 60gal, and a few other smaller tanks we were at a constant battle with humidity. Even with a dehumidifier. With that amount of water we really should of had an air exchanger installed. Instead, I have dropped down to a 90 gal in the basement and a 10 gal in my sons room. The 90 in the basement is in our rec room. The tank has glass tops that cover most of the top. In my sump room just outside the rec room i have that room closed off and ventilated with a med size bathroom exhaust fan vented directly outside. Our basement dehumidifier is able to maintain its "normal" setting, and the basement no longer smells like Lapoints fish market. I'm emptying my rec room dehumidifier bucket "maybe" once a week. A drastic improvement that will benefit both the house and the occupants. The moisture in the basement was ridiculous without an air exchanger unit to the point my cast wood stove in the far corner of our rec room was getting rusty, the furnace filters had a rusty\salt cake buildup etc..not good at all but a hard lesson learned. I took some pics of my old bathroom exhaust fan from my sump room that actually seized that i just replaced. Disgusting actually how damaging having a marine system in a house really "can" be if not done properly. If we ever move to a brand new home i'm not sure if i would have another marine system without a completely separate HVAC'd room to do so.

Anyone else want to chime in on the damaging effects of marine systems in an non-properly hvac'd home?

Jeff

liv
    k thanks, I'm gathering info now, so I can do the proper jump if/when needed.
    at the moment.. i do not have an issue.. this is all precaution work.
    my fish room where the real humidity should be I have a dehumidifyer set to start running at 35%... it currently reads 36%

the rest of the house seems to move from floor to floor from 42 to 45%.

just keep in mind that every home is different. some older homes or homes with high groundwater contant or standing water against the foundation could cause very humid basements even before the addition of a tank.such as my fathers older [1965] bungalow, theres lots of groundwater so that basement has a sump that runs all the time. improper or damaged weeping beds will affect the home as well.
    I'm very leary about using a dedicated exspensive exchanger just for the fact that jeff mentioned about his salt caked furnace and so on. theres a very large thread on RC about NOT doing this as the tank will ruin it. for sure LARGE tanks have to be researched to death before installing. I've changed my lighting from 4 x 400w to 2 x 400w with actinics. this means less light demanding corals but also my tank temp and evaporation rate went way down
    some homes can naturally breath better or take more humidity.
    mine is luckily one of them. the summer time AC keeps the basement perfect and the winter dryness is helped by some humid air leaking out from the fish room

You need a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV). Reasearch online, then check out the local heating and air conditioning stores. These will typically run you $1500-$2000 but is the permanent solution to humidity issues.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast