close call tonight...

Power out in parts of orleans from 4:30 this afternoon and came on about 15 mins ago. Had to run extension cord out to the van and a invertor. Ran 100 watt heater and refuge pump to keep circulation. Temp got down to 75.8. Had to put in hot water bags too.
    My fuse on my accessory power blew on the van and the car from the draw of the inverter. Eventually, made up some wiring from some old battery chargers laying around and connected straight to the battery. 15 mins later, power comes on. Time to invest in a ups and a better invertor :b12:
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

liv
    wow.. close call!... something we should all invest in too.
    Im thinking a generator might be a great upgrade down the road.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

you got lucky, good thing it happened during the day and not will you slept. i wonder how long you could get off a large UPS? i think maybe a generator would be the way to go on larger tanks. our power here very rarely goes out for more than few minutes but we had a 24 hr blackout 2 - 3 years ago, luckily it was in the summer so all i could do was drink all the beer in the fridge ( didn't want it to go off :b15: ) and take turns stirring my tanks to aerate the water. i lost nothing but so many others tanks were wiped out :b1:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

yup a generator is the way to go. UPS is great to run a powerhead or similar but during the winter a heater will wear down the average size UPS in a hurry. In an emergency without a generator, wrapping and covering the tank with blankets will buy you some extra hours

I have had several long power outages in the country and I have had to spend all night heating tank water on the stove (gas thankfully) and mixing it in the tank to keep the temp up. Not much fun. A generator is high on my list but my wife won't let me buy one unless it runs more then just the tank, so I am still waiting.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

running more then just the tank should be the plan forsure. If you know a licensed electrician (the difference of whether your insurance company will cover you in the event of fire etc) have him install a sub panel off the main electrical panel. The sub panel will then house maybe 4-6 circuits with just the essentials needed to energize during a prolonged outage. ie: fridge, freezer, furnace blower motor, few lights.

You could do this wiring yourself if you are handy with electrical but be sure to have the work inspected and signed off by a licensed electrician after the work is complete.

Insurance coverage is the main concern here as well as sleeping at night knowing that you will not be awakened by the sound of a smoke detector and you and your family have not been put at risk by trying to DIY.

If professionally installed and setup, this backup power plant for your home adds both peace of mind and added value to a home in the form of $$ if you were ever to sell. (a selling point with the wife

Jeff

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    running more then just the tank should be the plan forsure. If you know a licensed electrician (the difference of whether your insurance company will cover you in the event of fire etc) have him install a sub panel off the main electrical panel. The sub panel will then house maybe 4-6 circuits with just the essentials needed to energize during a prolonged outage. ie: fridge, freezer, furnace blower motor, few lights.

You could do this wiring yourself if you are handy with electrical but be sure to have the work inspected and signed off by a licensed electrician after the work is complete.

Insurance coverage is the main concern here as well as sleeping at night knowing that you will not be awakened by the sound of a smoke detector and you and your family have not been put at risk by trying to DIY.

If professionally installed and setup, this backup power plant for your home adds both peace of mind and added value to a home in the form of $$ if you were ever to sell. (a selling point with the wife

Jeff

I couldn't have said this better myself.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

I learned this from the 2003 blackout. I keep one of these on my 55 gallon, and two on the 120.

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....4c5+1197162591

They will buy you lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I have had several long power outages in the country and I have had to spend all night heating tank water on the stove (gas thankfully) and mixing it in the tank to keep the temp up. Not much fun. A generator is high on my list but my wife won't let me buy one unless it runs more then just the tank, so I am still waiting.

do you have a gas supply or are you on those large green cylinders?

i remember seeing a show where they installed a gas ( natural or propane ) fired generator, so you don't have to keep filling a little gasoline tank. they had the panel setup to automatically start the generator if it sensed a power outage.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    do you have a gas supply or are you on those large green cylinders?

i remember seeing a show where they installed a gas ( natural or propane ) fired generator, so you don't have to keep filling a little gasoline tank. they had the panel setup to automatically start the generator if it sensed a power outage.
    I have a big propane tank. That is my plan I have a friend who sells the generators so I can get a good price, but it is still outside of my budget. My biggest problem when the power is out is the temperature not the air. I have a couple of battery operated air pumps. A generator or at least a UPS is a definitely a great thing to have. Now if only I had one myself.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.