BC SPCA Proposes Ban on Blue-Ringed Octopus

The British Columbia SPCA is advising the BC Ministry of the Environment (BC MOE) to ban many new exotic animals in the Province of British Columbia. The ban includes keeping, breeding, and selling exotic animals. The proposal specifically mentions the Blue-Ringed Octopus, as well as other venomous animals, which could also include Lionfishes, Stonefishes, etc.

While the proposed ban mostly includes reptiles such as Boas, Pythons, Monitors, Tortoises, and Turtles, the aquarium hobby will be effected as well.

to Aquaria Canada

they have a similar ban in my home town. kind of silly because i can drive 10 - 15 min. in any direction an still buy them ???

as for the blue ring, i think this is best anyway, they don't do well in captivity.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    I would have to agree on the blue ring but why would they ban the lionfish? Is this being done for our safety or for the animals?

IJO

The proposed ban includes all poisonous and venomous animals. Although Lionfishes and Stonefishes are not specifically mentioned, they are certainly considered poisonous and venomous.

ijo
    Did they give a reason for the ban?

They gave many reasons for the ban, but were their reasons reasonable? Not in my opinion! I would post a link to the BC SPCA proposal to the BC Ministry of the Environment, but I need to have at least 5 posts before I am allowed to link to another website. (2 more posts to go!)

ijo
    Looking forward to the link... Welcome to AC!!

liv
    as for the blue ring.. makes sence.. its a real danger, deadly poison, and because of its habits, do not fair well in the trade. Its one of those species best left in the wild.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

The BC SPCA specifically included the Blue-Ringed Octopus as an example of a venomous aquatic animal that should be banned. Even though Lionfish are not used as an example, the BC SPCA, in their general criteria, proposes a ban on all venomous and poisonous animals, to which Lionfish certainly belong. Therefore, using a strict interpretation of the proposed banned animals, Lionfish, Stonefish, Sea Cumbers, Sea Urchins, any kind of Coral, etc... (many salt water animals are either poisonous or venomous) could be banned!

The real alarm here is that this proposed ban by the BC SPCA is the first one of its kind that is directed at the provincial level, and which includes any kind of aquatic animal.

Do you want to leave it up to the courts to decide if you can keep live corals in the Province of British Columbia?