We're leaving :(

So do not want to leave this bit of paradise! My suitcase is appx. 50 lbs heavier and not with store bought souvenirs. According to Canada Customs database, you can bring rock back as long as it is free from soil and pests.. Man do I ever have some sweet rock.
    biggunsar, Sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up, our days were full of touristy stuff. We are totally planning another trip down (not soon enough!) and will really have to hook up! Have a Caybrew for me and DH
    3 days in TO then back to the frozen tundra of Whitehorse!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Whitehorse is a lot like the Caymans. Right?

Well, except that it is about 1,000,000 times bigger and as far below zero Celsius as the Caymans are above.

It is always a shame to leave the Caribbean, but, at least you have the memories, sun burn and bragging rights. ;-)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Snow is pretty much like sand except cold and melty
    Sunburn, yes this lily white chick got sexy blistering 2nd degree burns.. Starting to shed like an invert now :P
    But at least I will soon be home with all my critters and have some spiced, mango and pineapple Tortuga rum (9$ for 750ml!) to warm me up as well as some sweet additions for my tanks! Anyone know if I need to do anything special to the rock before I add it?

you'll be glad to know we just got hit with more snow and there is more on its way for the weekend, should remind you of home :b15:

for the LR i would wash it really well with SW, then submerge it in some more SW and just make sure there isn't any spike, then add it to the tank. it may be dead now but it will quickly come back to life.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

If the rock you picked up has been sitting on land (not in the water) then I would put it in a pot and boil it in RO water, change the water and do it again, then soak it in a tub of Salt water possibly even running carbon. This way if it picked up anything like pesticides, bugs, bird poop, etc you should get rid of it.

If you picked it up right out of the ocean then I would follow A4Twenty's steps.

Hopefully you get to visit a few of the stores in TO while you are there.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Yes we are aware of the snow that landed yesterday, caused our flight to be delayed by 4 hours and we were stuck in the crappy terminal, unable to smoke, unable to make local calls and with the WORST PA system I have ever heard!
    Most of the rock was out of water, washed up on the shore so I will boil, soak and carbon it.
    We're going out and about today so we'll see if we can't make it to a couple stores. Still need to find lighting for my main tank..
    DH is going to try and get me to stand on the glass floor of the CN tower.. we'll see. I didn't think I would swim with Stingrays either but.. well.. how could I not?

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    I didn't think I would swim with Stingrays either but.. well.. how could I not?
    i hope there are pictures coming, sound like you had a good time :b2:
    `

My Gallery

Soon as we get the disposable underwater cameras developed and digitalized!

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    DH is going to try and get me to stand on the glass floor of the CN tower.. we'll see.

its fine :b2:

my family has been heavily into mountaineering / rock climbing for decades and about 20 years ago we had a chance to repel down the CN tower, i couldn't do it but one of the managers from our store did. i regret not doing it now but man it's high and still don't know if i could take that first step :b10:
    `

My Gallery

The entire CN tower floor is made out of the same material. They just covered it up with carpet. So, it's not that big a deal to stand on the uncovered areas!
    Equipment: 150 Gallon glass 60"x24"x24" | 75 Gallon Sump / duplex | 150lbs Indo live rock | MSX200 on order | 3x250w HQI Giesmann 14500K & 2x54w T5HO Aquascience 22K | 2 vortech WWDRO/DI