Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

Earth Day today!

Thought I'd post this, in case you guys missed it.

There are a bunch of shows on tv with tons of tips & tricks to help our environment. What do you guys/gals do to help out the environment ?

Here is a list of things we currently do:

- bring my own bags to grocery stores, ( I am also gathering old bags from fish purchases, and using them on my next purchases when I can. )
    the trick is to leave them in the car, I leave them in the front because I always forget.
    - recycle everything we can.
    - have my own garden and compost.
    - sold my gas guzzler last year.
    - I use a re-usable water bottle.
    - planting thyme and clover instead of grass, ( stronger and doesn't need nearly as much water )
    - starting to use natural soaps... not all there yet.. but soon hopefully.
    - I installed Bamboo floorings, they look amazing, bamboo is a grass and only takes 6 years to grow to the size needed for the flooring. ( regular hardwood is many times that amount of years )
    - I throttle my ro/di's output with a valve so much less waste is created.
    - lower temp in the winter and higher temp in summer so AC is not always on.

Over the long run:
    I'd love to change my gas furnase and heater to hydro,
    change my metal halides to a bunch of T5ho's. and in the next house, possibly a geothermic system.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

As soon as the Solaris fixtures come down in price or a competitor hits the market I will switch away from MH/VHO. Until then, I the only thing I can do is turn off my halides one hour early tonight.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

liv
    he he.. I hear ya.. the metal halides plays a big part in my tank too.

We would love to have a cave house, solar panel singles and a bio-diesel car!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

since you posted this i have been trying to figure out what i do and i have to admit i am seriously falling behind. it actually has been a bit of an eye opener and definitely needs some serious consideration on my part :b1:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    The trick is to start slow, I find that if you make it a chore, its not going to succeed. Think of it more as a behavior change where you used to be wrong and this is a better way to do it, ( you have to believe that what you are doing is better then your previous method, and learn to ignore that old method ) I find it motivates me much more.. its all about how you look at it. find tricks that makes those tasks easier to do ex: I keep my reusable bags on the front passenger side and usually hanging on the shifter.. so they are in eye sight.
    Oh.. and most stores give you 5cents back per reusable bags we use in the stores. the bags are 1$ each usually.. so it repays itself in about 20shopping trips.. after that.. you get money back.. Its not much. again its for the principal. We usually turn around and give that 25-50cents to what ever organization has a bucket out by the door.

I think the 2 best ones to start with are:
    - bring your own bags to the stores
    - recycle as much as you can

we have 3 big green bins out every other week. and sometimes I have to put some stuff in those blue bags.

my garbage is usually 1 bag per week.. consisting mainly of diapers.
    before I had my kid, garbage bin was out every other week and never full.

I wish I had to courage to try those reusable diapers.. I can't even imagine the amount of diapers going into landfills.. I mean just one kid is like 3-5 a day for a good year sometimes 2 depending on the kid.. wow!!

I may try this on our second one.. will see.. i'm thinking a dedicated washing machine in the garage.. with a direct vent for the smell .

Anybody using those washable diapers ?? I'd like to know your thougths on it.
    We have been reading alot on them, but hard to find people actually using them.

I used them.. many years ago :P
    They are environmentally better but a lot of work. If you are going this route and it's possible, I recommend a diaper service. New babies = tired parents.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

well i'm going to try a few of your tips, i especially like the no bags plan, i don't usually take one unless i can't carry everything anyway but bringing my own sounds like a good idea. i also would love to see a picture of your lawn ( thyme and clover ) and the bamboo flooring.

i do recycle, we have a great program here in SO...

weekly they pick up the blue box ( cans, bottles, papers, etc... ) and green cart ( biodegradable food waste ) and a biweekly pickup of brown bags ( Yard waste ) and regular garbage bags.

i use ( and my neighbour ) my waste water for the RODI to water the garden, in the summer it is plumbed right into the rain barrel in the backyard.

speaking of house temperature, what do you guys consider 'normal'? in the winter it is set to 73F ( ~23C ) and in the summer to 78F ( ~26 ). i have an electronic thermostat and used to have it go up and down during the night and while i was at work but found it really had the tank temperature going all over the place.

the gas guzzler is going to be a bit tougher but in the last week i changed my driving habits a little bit ( not that i drive that bad, just tried to keep it under 2k RPM ) and have managed to go from ~ 12MPG ( ~ 21L / 100KM ) to ~ 14MPG ( ~ 17L / 100KM ) for mostly city driving ( 80% city / 20% highway ). i know this is still horrible but its tough to keep it down on a full size truck.

out of curiosity why do you think going with electric heat is better than gas??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    for the electric heat, our electricity in QC is mainly generated by water, not coal like On. so i'd have a direct inpact in my ouput of co's.
    I use an electronic thermostat as well, I set my winter temp to 19c and summer is 22-23 usually.

my gaz guzzler used to do ~325km on a 75-80$ tank.. thats ~23.05L per 100km.. completely ridiculous.. and I didn't have a heavy foot either. pushing it.. i could of burnt it all in between gas stations.. lol

I'll try to post a picture of the bamboo.
    as for the grass, its my first year trying it.. but I did help a friend do his last summer with great success, i'll post his lawn instead.

liv
    as requested, pictures of the bamboo flooring.
    I seperated one big room into 2 smaller rooms for kids. 11.5x11.5 instead of 12x24 did it all myself.. was a fun project. and I loved working with bamboo. Not one broken/unuseable piece ! A+ material !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast