Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any bird experiences?

So I went to the petsmart clearance sale for a cheap aquarium and walked out with a cheap bird cage instead. I haven't owned a bird since I was a kid and we had a canary. Now I need some suggestions on bird choices. The cage is 24"L x 15"W x 34"T. Any suggestions?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I have thought about getting a bird. However, if I did that, my wife would use the 180g for my casket. Unfortunately, no advice or recommendation from me. I would probably choose a bird the same way I choose a coral: eeewwww, purty, I will take it.:b2:
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

Couple questions to help narrow down the choices:

Talkers/squakers or tweeties?

How long of a commitment you looking for? (10-70+ years?)

How much time do you have to devote daily? (15 mins - 3 hours?)

Do you have cats/dogs/snakes? (Just something to consider, a friend of mine had a terrible experience with her new dog and her long time parrot. 2 or my 3 dogs would be ok with birds. The three cats? hmm, guess it depends on the size of the bird. Mine were afraid of the chickens.. heh heh)
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

I don't think I want 70 years, but everything I have read about the smaller birds (ones that would fit the cage) seem to be max 20 with a few longer experiences.

My wife would like pretty birds that are stuffed. Based on that I am thinking more of a singing, chirping as opposed to the cawwing of the large makaws.

For time commitment I am hoping that the kids take an interest and help out with that. I figure if I go with something more social I can sit and work with it while my wife wants to sit and watch the shows.

No cats, only garter snakes (and yes a couple have shown up in the house) and the dogs are fine with our ducks so I am not too concerned.

I have always looked at the love birds when I am in the petstore, so I started to do a little reading on them this afternoon. I really like the coloration of the fisher's lovebird and was thinking that a pair of them might be nice.

I found the attached pic on the birdclub website title bar. Does anyone know what it is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any bird experiences?-bird.jpg  
    Rob
    -----

Looks like an Australian Rainbow Lorikeet.

http://www.birdcare.com.au/rainbow_lorikeet.htm

I was thinking lovebirds would be a nice choice, I too love them but am also attracted to budgies o_0

My ex and I had a cockateil and two lovebirds. Any parrot, cockateil, love bird, etc that you want to handle will have the demands of a 2 year old child. FOREVER lol. But by the looks of ur cage dimensions, no parrot. How close together are the bars. Small finches and canarys are supposed to have bars that are closer together. And BIRDS ARE MESSY. But can make great pets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZXZXZ View Post
    But by the looks of ur cage dimensions, no parrot.
    I would love a parrot but my wife isn't too keen on birds at all. I want to start with something smaller and less expensive so we can see how that goes. If that goes well then I would look into getting a larger parrot of some type.

Quote Originally Posted by ZXZXZ View Post
    How close together are the bars. Small finches and canarys are supposed to have bars that are closer together.
    The bars are 3/8". The cage is a Hagen Vision M02.
    Rob
    -----

I have been looking around the web and came across the Gouldian Finches. They are also a brightly colored small bird that looks like they may be a good choice.

Does anyone know of a good forum for birds?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any bird experiences?-gouldian_finches.jpg  
    Rob
    -----

Well thanks to all the information on yukonchicks links I have jumped in with both feet, and two birds.

I decided on the worlds smallest parrot a parrotlet as they are a true parrot but small and quite. I got a male green one on Saturday :b16:

While reading up on the different birds I came across a larger parrot that's colorations just amazed me, a sun conure. I decided to put that on the 'someday' list as they run $700-$900. I went to a local aviary on my way to pick up the parrotlet and saw a Sun in person and was blown away by the colors, pics couldn't do them justice. When I got home on saturday I pulled up Kijiji just to look at what was available. I come across someone selling a baby from the same store I was at earlier that day for a song and my wife agreed to let me get it too (I think I need to have her tested for drug use :b15 They said they were afraid of the cat killing it, they may have not liked the noise but it was in perfect health (looking anyway) so off I drove on sunday night.

So now I have 2 birds, and have to go cage shopping for a second cage today. The poor parrotlet lost his pallace and moved into a shack, a converted hamster cage.

I have attached a pic of the Parrotlets (I got the dark green one) and a pic off the web of a mature sun conure (they take 8-9months to get the full colors like this).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any bird experiences?-sun-conure.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob
    -----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast