Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starting the hunt for a new car

I typically start things early, the lease on the current car dies in November, so there's tonnes of time.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering a WRX STi for the next car and I seem to recall there's a few Subaru drivers in this group. So what have your experiences been with the car & company? Can you recommend a dealership to work with? I'm in the Ottawa area, but I'd consider a more distant dealer for the right price.

My concerns with the STi is it's smaller than I'm used to (currently in a Grand Prix) and I've got a family of four. For a daily driver it should be great, but I'm not sure about the biweekly Costco trip or heading out of town with luggage. Anyone else with an Impreza in this boat?

And there's also the usual question of... what else should I look at? I'm looking for 300+ HP, 4 doors, must fit kids & dog for out of town trips.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ijo
    I have an 09 STi and there is a lot of room inside this car... The back hatch is a little smaller than my 05 WRX but you can fit a lot of stuff in there. If your looking for FUN... this is the car... its just awesome!!. Lots of power and great handling (thanks to the AWD system and center balance boxer engine). Its not the cheapest 300 HP car you get your hands on but there is only one other can even come close to it (the EVO-X). This is my second Subaru... and I purchased both on Richmond.

I do however have one peeve.... for some strange reason... the radio on this car is terrible... music CD's and the AUX for ipod are great... but there is definitely something off with the radio(reception maybe?... I'll have them check it out on my next visit)

IJO

Cool so a couple questions then:

Did you get the upgrade kit? I could care less about the Nav, but some of the other items in the list I've gotten used to.

What's the ability to bargin on these? I'm a tad concerned that the popularity of the car might make deals harder to find.

I looked at the EVO-X and the Infini G37x. I think you get more for the money with the STi.

Cheers!

ToX
    I just bought a 06 impreza wagon today and OMG it's fun to drive I don't have the money to buy a wrx or a sti so I bought the standard one. Still enough power for me I just do highway so 300hp is no good for me hehe. But Now I'm sold on subbys, the things they do is amazing

ijo
    I skipped on the Nav aswell... I found it a little expensive (was an extra $6K for GPS Blutooth Touchscreen, BSS Wheels, and a Moonroof).

Its hard to get them to drop the price of a Subie... I did get a 1% reduced interest rate but that was because I was a previous customer... You should be able to get $1000-$1500 if your lucky... talk to more than one dealer... the one on Richmaond gave me better feeling than the one in Hull (the sales Rep said he was pretty sure a set of 17" tires would fit on the stock 18" rims... I just laughed)

One thing to keep in mind... your going to need new Wheels and tires for the winter... the car comes with 18" but recommends you get 17" winters.... you can't just settled for steel rims as they won't fit over the brakes... you'll have to go with alloys... mine wheels and tires put me back $1800 (high perfomance Winter Tires and 5 Spoke Alloy Rims)

I am looking at an after market Nav/stereo/DVD/Mp3/blutooth system and plan to have a replaced unit loaded in about a months time(cost should be roughly $500-$600).

IJO

Make sure you find out how many kms the OE tires are covered for or if they are even covered.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

May not mean nothing to you right now but may make a difference to your neighbors friends...but ever thought about buying north american cars and keep those poeple jobs nice to buy foreign cars but think of how many jobs that north american companies employ....that is just my thought and my own opinion good luck with the car hunting....

I've had a portable GPS for years & my latest includes BT. The only thing I wanted out of that package was the moon roof, but I'm not willing to spend what they want for the complete package.

Thanks for the tip on winter tires, I'll have to keep that in mind. Did the dealership cut you a deal on the rims & tires or did you go after market?

Cheers

ijo
    Tires and Rims from the dealer was $2700 (and that was reduced)... I purchased them from Talon Tire in Montreal (Ottawa Subaru Club Sponsor)... The wheels ended up costing me less than ordering from the US(tirerack.com)

IJO

liv
    Dave, you towing anything ? or racing on weekends ? why oh why would you want 300+hp.. I know its fun to drive.. but gas prices/fuel economy, insurrances and price of the car, and our crappy roads, and speed limits..

....I guess its a taste thing. personnaly, I think its a waste of money.

I'd go more for a wagon/suv running a 4cyl or a hybrid... that will be my next vehicle. heck.. I think I'd get that dodge sprinter ( mercedez ) van he he he.. 4cyl diesel 4x4 lots of room, dirt cheap on gas.. acceleration = none.
    We are leaning towards these lately:

used:
    Toyota Highlander hybrid. '06-08
    toyota rav4 '08
    honda crv '08
    ford excape hybrid '07-09

why used, cauz I can get them close to 1/2 price within one year ( except the hybrids which keep their prices up )

my 0.02 cents.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast