Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pioneer Vs Yamaha???

I am in the market to buy a new receiver and looking for some opinions. I am looking at the pioneer sc-07 or the yamaha rx-v 3900. Both are great receivers have everything that I am looking for. The store I shop at recommends the pioneer but I have owned two yamaha rx-v receivers and have been happy. I look online to see reviews or comparisons and they are all for older models.
    My question is, what do you guys recommend? I have never owned a pioneer receiver and I am looking for some suggestions. Do I try something new or go with what I know. If I did this with the aquarium, I would still be with fresh water...:b15:
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

i've been buying Yamaha for decades and probably always will. I don't know if it's any better but than others but they have always served me well and never let me down. the only reason i replace them is for the new technology coming out, most of my other amps / receivers are still being used by friends / family i sold them to, so quality is definitely not an issue.

HTH :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    yup same here... I've been a Yamaha fan for a long time.
    Love it !
    I have a natural sound series, its dolby 2.0 and dts also.. does 5.1

My bro has had a few pioneers, same price range as mine (7-800), they have all died.

go Yamaha and dont look back

and dont get go with those hdmi features, it just adds to the noise.
    so, go with wattage, noise % or ratio and what you intend to drive and listen to.
    It is always best to run your video cables seperately directly from the transmitter to the tv.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I'll jump on the Yamaha band wagon. The only reason I'd replace my reciever is to find one with HDMI. I'm otherwise very happy with it.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Still don't know. I am leaning more towards the yamaha because I am used to it and it has never let me down. Also the price is better. Just according to the reviews that I have read, the pioneer has a better video decoder and the Ice power amps are better. Noise ratio not as good on the pioneer though. Apparently the setup is better with the onboard mike to set up the room. Yamaha has a better rep of being more reliable but construction not as sturdy.... Pioneer built like tank but keeps throwing the track of and breaks down....
    God I don't have any hair to pull out. The nice part is where I want to buy it, they said I could take home and try the pioneer for two weeks and if I am not satisfied, return it and get the yamaha. I just want to hear both of them.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

Go Yamaha and don't look back. Don't go for any HTR series. Only go RX series... I had one of the first 5.1 yamaha receivers... rx-v796, then recently upgraded to a new one with the HDMI inputs and the latest blu ray HD audio formats... My new one is the RX-v663... which has almost everything, just not as many future inputs, which I know I don't need anyway... Most of my speakers are midrange to high range and my sound is as crisp as it gets. My new yamaha actually blew the doors right off my old one. Also, I have a power monster 5100 power cleaner/surge protector that helps with filtering the garbage in the power to give me the best results for my system. It was more money then what I paid for my receiver... The store probably get a better discount on the pioneer products, or the salesman is just more familiar with pioneer.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

there both good products for mid consumers. PIONEER is a better choice though.a little research and CONSUMERS REPORT gives it my nod.
    also, PIONEER actually right now have one of the BEST flat screen TV's as well.

Hey John,

Can you link the Consumer's report on this? I've got a buddy at the office looking for the same type of info & I'm having problems finding it.

Thanks!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

make it easy on yourself and buy both...

I get the monthly CONSUMER REPORT MAG, and it was in one of the past issues so no link. there both good but I'd prefer audio gear made by a company that just does audio/video. I've had YAMAHA stuff in the past and it works just fine. but

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast