Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member wend121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    251

    Mice living in my car

    So I left a travel mug in my car the other day and when I went to take the mug out to re-use it I noticed that there were dig marks by the mouth piece. I freaked out a little and then opened all my car doors and windows and went inside the house. I came out a couple of hours later and saw no sign of a rodent. This past weekend I went to the cottage and packed the trunk. I arrived and started to unpack the trunk when I saw a tiny little baby mouse. He was the size of a grape. I freaked out a little more and then decided I needed to investigate and tear apart my car. I later found two more baby mice who had died and been eaten (not sure which came first). I assumed at first that the mother probably had the babies and then took off and left them in my car but then I read online somewhere that adult mice will eat their young if there is no other food. I figured when I ripped my car apart that I had got them all out but after reading about mice canabilizm I decided to do a test. I put a piece of cheese in the trunk of my car and drove to work. The cheese was gone by the time I got there....now Im really freaking out. I had taken everything out...I lifted up the mat in the back and even took the spare tire (which is where I found the dead ones). I unzipped the seat covers and there was no sign of mice in them. I dont know what to do now, besides setting my car on fire. Im a girlie girl too and to even see a mouse freaks me out (I had help to clear out the baby mouse and the dead half eaton ones). Im having a hard time driving my car as any little movement or shadow makes my scream.

    Does anyone have any suggestions??????????

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    303
    I think the only real way to get rid of them is to set some traps at night.

    I've got an old Corvette that mostly sits in the garage and had a mouse or three get into it. They chewed 3/4's of the way through one of the seatbelts that I had just replaced the year before.

    I'd get them out of there as quick as possible before they do any more damage.

  3. #3
    Former Moderator a4twenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    they can be a real problem in vehicles, chewing on seatbelts, wires, etc.......

    last year when a mall was built behind my house, we all had them in our garages. i tried the live catch traps ( animal lover :dft001: ) and never had any luck, they would walk right through them and get caught in the regular traps that i set up after a week or so.

    i'd suggest traps too, or maybe poison........

    do you have other pets that ride in the car?? small children?????

    if not, you can get some poison bait from the hardware store and put a piece in the trunk. though you may never find the bodies :b13:
    `

    120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

    Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor


    My Gallery

  4. #4
    liv
    liv is offline
    Former Moderator liv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,646
    friend of mine had a supra with mice in it.. it was funny to see them running around the dash while driving.
    ... you should definitely get them out asap... like a420 said, they may chew your wires and cauz nightmares down the road.

    as for where they are hiding, take out the benches and check if they made tunnles in them, if not there and not under the carpet, check unde the plastic peices on the back side of the car, like where the wheel wells are.
    they may also have nested in the air box or inside the dash.. tons of room there too.

    moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    612
    You'd be surprised at how much dog food (if you have any around) they can store in the air breather box... I had a working car parked for a bit, only to start it up months later and find it wouldn't turn over, the wipers were all messed up, and the backup lights were always on... This was due to mice chewing wires.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    69
    On a nice sunny day roll up all the windows make sure everything is shut and park your car in a spot where it will get the most sun.
    Let the mice cooking begin!! I'm pretty sure any mice living in there will leave as the temperatures will be overbearing.
    75G Starphire 24X30x24 Coast to Coast Overflow

    Return Pump: T4 Velocity (1255 Gph)
    Water Movement: 2 x Tunze 1045ís on a wave function from my reefkeeper 2
    Lighting: Giesemann Infinity 250w HQI 14k + 4x24w T5 Actinics
    Skimmer: Bubble King 180 Mini
    Calcium: Dual Chamber reactor with dosing pimp and Milwakee PH control

    Ozone: Red Sea Aquazone plus 100mg
    Cooling: 1/10hp Pacific Coast Chiller
    Other: ATO, RODI, Phosban

  7. #7
    liv
    liv is offline
    Former Moderator liv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,646
    ahhh great tip !
    hopefully they dont die inside and start rotting.. berk.

    moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

  8. #8
    Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    196
    yeah the dead mouse smell is something you will never forget! had a trailer and had mice in the walls. poisoned them and then had to tear out the walls to remove the smelly dead guys...

Similar Threads

  1. Living Art
    By sherif in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •