Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

need to vent a little, sorry :)

with so many stupid things going on in the news and my stupid internet connection being so flaky and the provider swearing it's on my end and not theirs, i just need to vent a little........

why did Barack Obama win the nobel peace prize????

this has to be joke, with only 12 days in office, what could he have possible done to deserve this award. to me this is not only a joke but offensive to the people who have devoted years if not their lives to the cause.

how do we keep ending up with these government scandals, the latest $1B e-health Canada and no consequences??????? heads need to roll and charges need to be laid. we shouldn't have to put up with this, it's called fraud and if you or i did it, we'd be in jail.

my internet connection has been so unstable for the last two weeks, it lets me on the server, only to boot me a minute later. my ISP swears they aren't having any problems and it's all on my end. they say they'll need to send a tech to go over my system and i'll need to take a day off work to wait for them. sorry, i'm not taking a day off work to wait for your guy and my system works just fine when i hijack my neighbours wireless signal. so i guess my only option is to change ISP's........ ( cable and internet ~ $110 / month )

hey whats that cable truck doing at the side of my house today, ahhhhhhhhh perfect stable internet again. i'm probably going to change anyway, i hate dishonest people.

and this is what finally made me just shake my head.

starting October 26th ( here in ONT anyway ) you will need to use hands free cell phones while driving or face a fine. i'm all for safety but how is this supposed to help?????

if the problem is holding the phone, then why are we allowed to eat / drink / smoke / touch the radio / etc...... while driving???? this is just another case of the government having it all wrong again. the problem isn't having something in your hand, it's your lake of concentration / attention to driving that is the problem. what a waste of time......

hmmm, i actually feel better :035:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    lol 420... I feel your pain. I used to have issues with my internet connection up until I switched to the ultra speed.

I also agree with you on the new cell phone law... talking to someone on the phone is the problem... we seem to disconnect ourselves from our environment when on the phone. It has nothing to do with the actual phone placement... the law should be no phone calls while driving.

government scandals? good point... another one is false promises... get caught in a lie and forget about your political career. Funny how I throw my vote for the person who will do the least damage instead of the person who do us the greater good.

IJO

liv
    wow.. what ? Obama got a nobel price ? LOL..

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    wow.. what ? Obama got a nobel price ? LOL..
    a $1.4 million dollar nobel peace price.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

So if we're just venting in general, can I get in on my hatered for Quebec's snow tire law? I don't care if they are or aren't a good idea, why does it have to be legislated?

I should be able to put them on when I want, and take them back off the car when it gets too warm for them. Instead I've got arbitrary dates that start too early and end too late.

I just can't wait to be driving around in 10C weather wearing out my Aplines because it's "for the greater good". What happened to common sense? If they really wanted to improve road safety, why not make mechanical quarterly mechanical inspections manditory too? Hey I'm two days late chaning my oil, I'm sure there's a statistic someplace that says the world is now worse off for my folly.

Yeah it does feel a bit better :b2:

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

liv
    Dave, I'm actually totally for this.
    Too many clowns on the road with junk tires.
    Sadly, thats the kind of law we gotta live by now.. People have no common sence.
    Or, at least, make the insurrance not cover you if you are in an accident.. the kind of incentive to push people to get winter tires.

The date is Dec15 to March15.. Not sure how much more early it can be...lol
    I mean.. i would have put this 1st of Nov seriously. by Dec15th, most recent years, we already had a foot of snow.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/accide...ires/index.php

Yeah, that stupid tire law meant I couldn't get tires last year.

Luckily my all seasons were still relatively new and I drive a small SUV. This year would probably be different. Just waiting on the rims now.

What we really need is a law prohibiting stupidity. But, then half of the federal parliament would be arrested on the spot. :-D
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

liv
    lol.. and the other half waiting to be arrested... shortly after..

What does bug me is those anoying guys on their harley's making soo much f* noise at all times of the days.. and they do it on purpose. that ticks me off.
    Makes the rest of us on bikes look bad.
    Same thing with our plates.. they are expensive because of crotch rockets doing 200+ on the streets kill themselfs daily.. again giving bikers in general a bad rep. Im glad they raised the plate prices on those things.. ha.. I'm laughing !
    next year, the crotch rockets plates will hit the 1200$.. regular plates will be 630.. and classics ~92$.
    guess what I drive ?

liv
    Quote Originally Posted by cres View Post
    Yeah, that stupid tire law meant I couldn't get tires last year.

Luckily my all seasons were still relatively new and I drive a small SUV. This year would probably be different. Just waiting on the rims now.

What we really need is a law prohibiting stupidity. But, then half of the federal parliament would be arrested on the spot. :-D

Can you imagine the size of the jails we would need to have if we arrested everyone that's stupid..

So my problem with it is that while you can use winter tires, you don't need them until the average temperature drops to -10C or lower.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...tertires.shtml

All tires were not created equal though, this the Ontario government generalizing it, but it's an okay rule of thumb. You'll also note that the stopping shorter / faster tests are generally done at -20C (or colder) and the website show's that as wel (if you look)

Here's the average temperatures for Ottawa:
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

The month of December has an average high of -4 and an average low of -11.
    The temperature at any given point thoughout should be someplace in between. So do you need winter tires here? The tread doesn't make as much difference in slipery conditions as the rubber does & unless it's below -10C there's virtually no difference in grip.

Montreal: http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

Average high in Feb. -3, average low -14. Again, the typical temperature at any given point should generally be between the two, fair enough? So how many days would the rubber be ineffective in Montreal in Feburary? Can it be measured in days or are the lows happening for a couple hours between 3 and 4am?

If we want to get close to home, here's the averages for Gatineau:
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

January is the worst - highs of -7, lows of -16. Okay there's probably some days here my all seasons wouldn't grip as well as snow tires would. I guess I'd have to drive to the road conditions those days.

So a few things that confuse people on this:

Windchill doesn't matter it just gets the tires to the ambiant temperature faster.
    Tread pattern doesn't matter as much for ice as does rubber softeness - unless you have spikes in your pattern :b2:
    Tread pattern does matter a whole lot for mud & snow & rain. That's why snow tires are sometimes labelled M+S, although true cold weather tires also have the snowflake we should all be looking for.

So to wrap up my fairly lengthy bitch on this, since not all tires and not all cars / trucks / whatevers were created equally, the owner / operator should be responsible to make the right choice for where & how they drive - not the government.

The person that only drives late in the afternoon, primarily in the city, doesn't need snow tires in most North American cities - just good all seasons. Somebody living outside the city trying to get through streets that may not have been plouged or salted yet - Get a truck with big arse snow tires & maybe chains.

Finally the number one reason Quebec did this has nothing to do with safety. Okay only on the edges. If everyone has snow tires, they can spend less money salting & cleaning the roads each winter. They still have to do it, but not to the same standards and ergo not to the same expense levels.

It's a cash grab, and honestly shame on Quebec for it.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast