ijo

Building a Fence

We are looking to build a fence this year (well there are actually a good 8 of us) and am wondering how deep the fence posts 'should' be. The builder said he is going down 3 feet and there is only a 1 year guarantee. I thinking a 6 foot fence dug 3 feet is not enough... I was thinking 4 feet minimum.

Am I correct in my thinking? The fence will be chain link with the pvs slats... the front facing will be cast iron.

IJO

When I did my chainlink fence, around my pool about 7 years ago, I put them in about 3 feet for a 5 foot fence and anchored w/ concrete. They have not move in inch. I suspect 3' anchored w/ concrete on a 6' post would be fine.

ijo
    I'm worried that the pvc inserts will cause the wind to put a lot more preasure on the posts

IJO

3 feet will be enough

the most important thing is to ensure that the concrete ends at least 4 inches below ground level. If the concrete crowns above the ground frost will push the post out no matter how deep you go.

liv
    unless using those bells so they dont come up, you got two choises, below the frost line which is below 48" here in gat/ottawa area or get vistech screws setup. less then that, the posts will eventually come up with the years unless the "bell" type setup is used.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

the vistech will work, but really it doesn't come up mainly due to the fact that its solid portion is below ground, much like my method of leaving 4 to 6 inches of ground above the concrete.

I am usually good for 4000 or so feet of fence every summer in the ottawa area.

You could go into the ground 20 feet, but if you leave concrete cresting above the soil line, the post will lift. This lifting is much less if you use a sonotube, as the surface is much smoother than simply poured concrete.

As the frost sets into the ground it freezes from the surface down...obviously. If there is concrete at the surface of the ground the frosting of the surface will cause the concrete pile to lift...ever so slightly at first...but after a few years you could see as much as an inch or more of lift per season.

Now if the concrete is left 6 inches below the ground, then that 6 inches of ground must freeze before the frost line reaches the concrete pile. That 6 inches of frozen ground become a solid mass which is immovable.

liv
    makes sence bud
    how much you charge per posts ? I got about 8-10 more to add ( making the fense closer to the street. )

I'm not supposed to work for money over there on the dark side of Canada, but I'd be happy to help for some nice frags...help being the key word

Many rocks where you are?

liv
    its rock country