finishing basement

Hello All, what permits are needed to finish a basement in Aylmer Quebec? We have a 2 year old home and I am thinking of adding some partition walls and extra electrical outlets.

Tony

liv
    - city permit for renovations.... with a detailed plan of the walls.. so take your house footing, and draw on a sheet where the walls are going with measurements on all walls and theirs finishing ( drywall, flooring, ceiling )

- the partitions can be done by yourself, the extra electrical outlets can be setup by you.. ( if you feel comfortable working with electricity )
    but the hookups to your power panel must be done by a licensed electrician.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

thats what I thought, I was planning on using an existing outlet to feed the 5 plugs i was going to install. The current plug is on its own 20amp breaker right below the panel

liv
    please be careful, a 20amp breaker will require 12-2 ( red ) and not the typical 14-2 ( white ). since technically you could suck 20amps before your breaker pops... which could cause a wire failure ( fire etc ) on 14-2.

as for the amount of plugs, the more the merrier specially in a basement if you intend to do a family room etc. I ended up setting up one plug per 6-8feet.. not the typical 12feet minimum requirement by code.

if your going for a home theator, its a wise decision to run another( a few ) dedicated breakers/circuits to feed it.

hope this helps

Plugs themselves usually aren't even rated to be on a breaker any higher then 15 amps. If this plug is right off the panel, it sounds like they probably used a 20 amp breaker for it during the construction phase (right after the hydro was installed). They quickly slap the main panel in, and throw in one breaker to a "panel plug". This is the one outlet to supply all the power to the tradesmen working there. That's probably why a 20 amp breaker was put in. Just so it wouldn't trip off as much.
    Do you have extra room in your panel for an electrician to slap in more breakers? I really wouldn't go T'ing off that existing plug when it's on an over sized breaker for the wiring reasons liv mentioned.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

permits

I'm almost positive that if you are not opening an exterior wall or building/removing any structure supporting walls or point loads that you DO NOT need a permit for the renovation.

Here in Ontario you would need an electrical permit which you can pull yourself.

liv
    any home reno's here in Gat needs a permit ( so they can tax you later lol )
    a deck outside, a shed passed 10x10, a pool/spa, interior/exterior renos. does it add value ? then he needs a permit.
    a repair is something else, but making divisions, counts for sure.

anything to rack in more cash. on the other hand, you could just not tell them.

he can call the city at 311 from his home and ask.

Hey Guys Thanks for the replies, I made a mistake the breaker is actually 15 amps. I called the Aylmer sector to find some information not mentioning any personal information. To my surprise she told me that I should not bother obtaining a permit as long as the job is under 5 thousand. I think for piece of mind and legal reasons I will install the needed plugs and have an electrician make the final connection. Anyone know any good Quebec certified electricians?

liv
    Pierre Charlebois could do this.
    www.entreprisepcharlebois.com

J M Comeau Electrique Ltee 819-684-1860

This guy did an entire new panel and a bunch of wiring in my neighbors house on terry fox rd. He'll do it right.
    Quebec is a lot more strict on who can do electrical then Ontario. I know I can't wire the fans for fireplaces in Quebec. I have to get a licensed quebec electrician to do it. But I can do them in Ontario.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse