Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

My first winter without a saltwater tank.. or any large tanks..

And.. how did I realize this ??
    By having a bone dry house right now. LOL
    I've had tanks forever so I've always lived in the tropics/jamaica climate in my house... so to speak.

i'm on the hunt now for a central humidifier... the little ones are just not cutting it. yet one more upgrade on a house i'm trying to sell.. LOL

rona and canadiantire has the same unit from honeywell for sale.. looks descent and comes with its external controller.

any thoughts on this.. and please no tank video's.. he he :b2:

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    Oh.. and also thinking that I will size my next house's tank with the humidify level it requires.. LOL.. I think I could easily achieve this with calculating the surface of a container, adding the same turbulence as an aquarium and the same temperatures.

so not too much humidity.. so less troubles and heat wasted venting or dehumidifing or humidifing...

something to keep in mind.

still thinking of a very low hydro cost tank on the next setup... while still keeping all corals.. so plasmas or led's.. and try the same tests on lowering the heat and monitor the coral growth...and fish happiness of course... or maybe low fish if needed.

all of this all up in the air.. but also thinking there might be a way i can hook the tank's heating using the home's geothermal's setup. just using an extra zone controller and a titanium tube in a coil in the sump.

you aren't kidding about the humidity, once the temp drops to 0'ish i can no longer see out the windows :b8: i installed a humidifier a year or so before moving the tank over, now i realize what a waste of money that was.

so are you completely tank less or are you still running a small one??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

You guys should move into an old farm house, there are no humidity issues. In fact I have to run a humidifier right beside the tank just to keep the house at Dry, without the tank I think I would move to the Saraha scale.

Liv I would love to post a vid of your old tank just to show off but it doesn't even have water in it at the moment. :b1:

As for heating you should try the heating coil like I had made from Pex and spaflex it worked extremely well for heating using the house water heater, even better if I had ever bought a controller for it.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    hmmm you got some quick drawings ?
    and wouldn't the house hot water cost more in heating being less efficient then an aquarium heater ?

u got a drawing ? i guess you were using a recirc pump in a loop ?
    interesting ideas.. hmmmmmm thx bud
    and can't wait to see the old tank back in action.
    .... the things we do for our children he he.

Oh.. and ya.. completely tankless.. well.. except for a 12g freshwater tank that i showed you guys a few months ago for my shubunkins pond fish.

i'm hearing alot of talk about a humidifier, is this something i should be considering i have a 65 gal tank. just wondering.

thanks
    Todd

liv
    no, you want a dehumidifier :b2: he he .
    I have to humidify my place because i'm lacking a large tank.

for your setup, it will depend on how you are venting your tank, the kind of lighting you have and how big your place is.
    usually its not required for a 65g tank most homes can easily deal with this.
    but every setups are different and ever home also.

Here is the link to the thread I started on my heater.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ghlight=heater

As for efficiency, I figure I was having to run a couple thousand watts of electric heaters without catching up, and 10' away is a 60 gallon drum of hot water that was sitting there always warm and ready, I would guess it was less expensive.
    Rob
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    i'm hearing alot of talk about a humidifier, is this something i should be considering i have a 65 gal tank. just wondering.

thanks
    Todd
    Humidifiers are typically only required during winter months and in older houses. New construction methods seal the house to the point that the house doesn't breath so any water sources (steam, fishtanks, etc) will be trapped and require a dehumidifier to remove. Older houses that are not sealed will usually breath too well and exchange the warm moist air with the extremely dry air which can cause stuff like dry skin or nose bleeds.

Simple solution is to go and buy a couple of the little digital combo units that tell you the temperature and humidity. Then you can see if your humidity is too high or too low and purchase the right unit.
    Rob
    -----

without a heater my tank runs around 72-74 degrees (too cold) Today i turned my fans off to see if the MH will warm the water to about 78. My problem is my filtration is in the cool basement and the tank is on the main floor. Works great in the summer but the winter is too cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast