Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Running dual monitors

I have acquired another monitor and want to run both so I can be more productive when studying.
    I thought I'd be able to use an adapter and I'm away but the sales man at the store said I'd need another video card, or I'll see the same on both screens and wont be able to drag one window onto the other monitor.
    Is this correct or can I just use the adapter?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

You can use one adaptor but it need to be made for a dual monitor setup.

! card 2 monitor aoutputs. Take a look at the ATI web site http://www.atitech.com alot of the cards they sell support dual monitors.
    Your Source For Live Marine Food

liv
    yes, he is correct, you can add another card but depending on the OS you are running it could be a nightmare.. best bet is to go with a dual monitor vid card... thats 100% sure to work properly.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

if you go with a 2nd video card, any PCI card will do (as long as you have an empty slot. Just go to any used computer store. you might be able to find for under 20 bucks. But like liv said, it could get tricky for the OS to recognize 2 video cards. you'll need to do some configuring...
    thanks.
    thien

liv
    ya... with XP its alot easier.. but with 98.. it has to do with vid card priority. and usually only works if 2 identical cards are found or works better is same manufacturer.. like ATI AGP and have the second pci.. then go in bios and tell is priority AGP/PCI.

I dont know how easy it is for you to play in the bios... but let us know what you decide.. lemme know if you need a hand or got more questions !

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Tiff, you're on the right track with all the info so far.
    Be sure not to use any of the older ISA style adaptors, as they will not work with PCI or AGP multi-monitor combinations.

It will be easier to use 2 of the same make/model cards, but this is not necessarily a must. And ofcoarse it will be simple to use a videocard with dual outputs, however these tend to be a little more expensive. And yes, WindowsXP makes life quite a little easier with multi-monitor setups.

Depending on your motherboard, one of the videocards (either the PCI or the AGP) will have to designated as your main (or primary) video card. Be aware of this, and have that videocard working with the proper drivers PRIOR to installing the other card.

Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info, I've got XP (getting 2003) and have a NVidia Ge-force 2 integrated GPU video card, and I can't find out if it supports dual monitors. will try call comp guy, and see what he says, (I like him, he works for AMD!!! )
    would a second monitor require more memory? (have 512ddr)
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

liv
    no.. second mon. does not require any additional mem.
    since videocards have there own memory.

but since you will have 2 mon, you will probebly run more progs then at the moment. this might require more.. but 512 ddr is plenty.

also, I would'nt touch 2003 if I were you.
    too many ajustments required to make it half descent.

liv Thanks for the tip on 2003, is this with the office suite as well?
    512 is the min recommended ram for XP and I've been thinking about getting more, as can I run 5-6 programs at once when studying sometimes (not incl. downloads) and really push the system.
    I've noticed that it's running a touch slower the last few months and it's frozen on me 2-3 times, any general ideas as to why?

liv
    well.. do you maintain your system a bit,
    clear web caching files ?, running alot of programs in the background ?

the best thing to do to keep it running faster is to start the programs you need when you need them..

if you are confortable enough to to your start and click on run,
    then run msconfig

in there, go to Startup, and remove the stuff you dont need at startup.. I always disable the office crap, real player, quicktime, winamp.. only keep the necessary.. like virus scanners and the miscelanious drivers needed by your system.
    I only have 3 checked on ~24items.

also for the webcaching, if you use IE, go to Tools and internet options ( in the browser ).. in there, click on delete files and add the check to delete all offline files also. click ok on that... then click on settings and put a dot on every visit to the page and reduce the amount of caching to ~10mb.

also, if you want more speed, remove any background pics and sounds. for background, on your desktop, right-click to properties, then click on desktop tab, in there choose "none" and click apply and ok.

for sounds,
    go in control panel, go to sounds and audio devices, under the sounds tab, click in the menu to no sounds. then apply and ok.

as for ram.. sure.. put as much as possible.. if you got the cash.
    I ran photoshop alot when in college.. even at 1024mb and 2 scratch disks and 2.4ghz processors, some pics would take 30min to save...

let me know if you need more explanations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast