salt 'creap' and computers

I noticed that a quite a few people have their tanks near their computers.
    I was considering moving the computer to the lounge near the tank, (so I can see it when I'm studying...) but the salt-creep has me thinking differently..
    Do you have salt probs with the computer and how do you prevent it?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

liv
    unless you got the pc sitting on top of it... I dont see the problem.. I have fixed pc's that were in paint boots companies for years.. not a pretty sight... but they lasted about 2 years each time.. thats with 1" plus of paint dust. so.. unless its overly humid... we keep pc's in alot worse areas then this, cars, boats facing elements.. I see no problem... but your better to judge with your area.

also, I have plants on top and beside the tanks and they dont seem to mind nor can I see any salt accumulation on them.

also, keep in mind that we keep magnetic ballats and others under the tanks.. with no problems.. and I'd be more worried about something with high voltage then my cpu.

I know that salt conducts electricity.. but salt does not evaporate with the water..it stays in the tank.
    so your really just looking at humidity.

I ran water inside my computer for 2+ years! talk about humidity! I had to have sponges on the videocard.. lol

It takes alot more then you think to kill most pcs...

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

very funny.
    I had a 4 by 5ft mirror above the tank and I had to move it and have it repaired, coz the salt/water ruined the hardwood.
    I'll have a look at the distance between the tank and the potential site for the comp.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I have about 3 feet between my reef tank and monitor without any problems. My tower is in the desk well - well protected you would think until the handle broke on a 5 gallon pail full of salt water (during a water change). The water splashed the keyboard, tower, run and filing cabinet (that I use as the desk legs. This happened a couple of weeks ago and so far, everything still works.

I will be glad when spring comes and the drain gets installed so we don't have to carry pails of water.

Vickie

3ft between mine....np at all!