Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Exclamation Videotron users - WARNING VIRUS!!!

I thought I would warn any of you Videotron Internet users out there about an email circulating and apparently coming from "management@videotron.ca" or "administration@videotron.ca" with the Subject: "Email account disabling warning".

There is a ZIP file included in the email stating that it will scan your computer for infection.

I also noticed a 2nd version of this email with a PIF attachment.

This is a VIRUS. It is the Bagle.J virus. Do not open the attachment. If you did, go to:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger and download the latest removal tool for this virus.

This is the body of the message:

Dear user of Videotron.ca,

Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content)
    outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by
    a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe,
    follow the instructions.

Further details can be obtained from attached file.

Kind regards,
    The Videotron.ca team
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

This virus is circulating from a large number of sites: I got a version from the 'administrator' at my work. That one asked me to click a URL to re-activate my e-mail account. In my case, the grammar was so terrible, it was clearly a faked message.

I guess the warning is: beware!
    Nick

Here's a good one for you... I get an e-mail on my videotron account saying my PayPal account will expire in 5 days if I don't launch the attachment... and don't contact us just launch it and re-enter your account info.

Since I never gave them that e-mail account... I figured it was fraud right away and forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com which is their fraud department. They replied back confirming it as fraud... videotron is rife with spam and fraud lately...

Please be careful with your PayPal account info... these fraud & piracy bastards are devious...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I have in the last week received 5 virus laden e-mails from various non existing web sites / persons. Fortunately I have anti virus software for confirmed virus's and zone alarm e-mail scanning that will lock up ANY e-mail that contains an executable file attachment for closer inspection. McAfee indicated that a hacker / virus completion is under way which has lead to this weeks out breaks
    Rob

liv
    the worm is called Beagal.j and Beagal.K

the tries to mimic the originator domain and mass spam the net. i have been battling this beast all week.

dont open there attachments, get stigner like the guys said above, stay in your houses and close all windows, buy canned goods, stay away from doors and if you can, look at your fishies.

ok ok.. maybe i went too far... but it is a nasty bugger!

Oh.. and this is a global thing.. not only videotron.
    all isp's are getting hammered with these emails, but they are customized to there respective domains.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yup,

I've been battling these friggin viruses all week as well. Makes for busy days.

However it was the first time that I saw it on the Videotron side, that's why I thought I'd let the word out.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Last night Paypal confirmed that the attachment I received was not a virus but a re-direct app to a spoof site that looks the same and will capture all your input data for prompt withdrawal of funds from your real account...

Watch Out!!!!

The only legit site is https://www.paypal.com ... the "s" in https is essential for your security and don't go anywhere else... PayPal is still a very safe, secure manner to purchase items, just don't open any old e-mail and believe what it says...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!