Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

File Transfer Wizard

I just got a new computer P4 @ 3.02 Gigs / 1 GIG of DDR RAM
    :-) . I am at this moment using the file and setting transfer wizard to move stuff to this new machine. The thing says it will take 476 hours to complete ???!!!! Is this NORMAL??? the 2 machines are hooked up directly by a file transfer serial cable
    Rob

That sounds like an awfully long time :-) At that spedd, you might be better to write it out onto a CD-R and copy it that way. I transfered 1.4G over our work LAN the other day. It took about 10 minutes. I would expect a direct connection should be at least this fast. Unless it is configured as a 9600 bps serial connection. Can you give any more details about how the cable is configured?
    Nick

Will I just followed the File Transfer Wizard instructions and used a serial cable that I got about a year ago that says on the side of the cable DATA TRANSFER CABLE. I was not given an option to configure that set up. Win XP did that for me. I am moving about 34 Gigs of Data. It took about 45 minutes to compress and prepare the files so I was hoping it would be about the same amount of time to do the transfer. I am now wondering if I should CANCEL it and download a trial version of PC anywhere because I really don't want to wait 20 days for this to be completed !!!! If I cancel it will I risk loosing any data ???
    Rob

OK just checked the setting says 9600 can I change the setting while it in use ?
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    You're using a datacable, not a network cable like NickB is suspecting.

Transferring at 9600 baud will take an eternity. You won't be able to change this setting while transferring. You would have to stop the transfer.

Do you not have a network card in each computer by which to hook both computers up? If not, the datacable is the way to go. You may be able to set it up to 115200 baud and get it to work, if not, just work your way down from there. Make sure the Baud rate is identical on both computers..
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

YES ... I am using a data cable. It is about 1/2 the DIA of a printer cable. So I should maybe cancel this and change the port setting in the devise manager and start over?
    Rob

And yes I have network cards in both machines
    Rob

rob
    do both computers use a nic card?
    if so just use a cross over cable and you will have a data transfer of at least 100 base t much faster than seral printer port.
    if your original file is still the same size and its just a copy being made you should be ok to pull the plug on the transfer.
    If the file is in a "move state" you will lose the data
    changing the baud rate during transfer wont work..sorry
    I never did like the transfer wizard with windows

nickb is right if you burn it to cd-r`s you get a back up right away if the job gos bad your not out of luck

good luck with the new pc should be a hoot when its up and running

what tang man said:lol: :lol: :lol:

Orion .. I have cross over cable but I am not a connection genius. I would have to set up a new connection with that set up wouldn't I? Or will Win XP detect the other machine and set auto set it up for me?
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast