Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MS Word is too busy for me!! Help please...

I made an email signature in note pad then opened it in outlook and then advanced edited it, and it uses word to do so. I then went on to make another 4 or 5 signatures.
    since then, outlook says 'word' is too busy and and I have to use HTML instead and when I try to open word, it says things like " there are too many edits", cannot use the file" or " file cannot be found" or "save your work" etc..And this is happening on all files, even when I try and open a new blank file.
    I did a full Norton system scan and nothing.
    What did I do on my first foray into graphics???
    And how do I fix it???
    I tried deleting temp files and the clipboard (there was nothing on it anyway) and using the detect and repair, and I only get to use word once before I get the error messages again, making Outlook and word useless..
    Help.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

ATC
    Have you rebooted?
    Aven

Microsoft products are known to be a memory hog and they don't release the memory until you turn the power off and reboot as ATC said. I find Publisher the worse of the lot but have run into the problem with Word and Excel.

Vickie

liv
    if it does not release the memory then it has a memory leak, or opened threads which the parent did'nt close properly. either in the program or os. what os u using ? most microsoft os have this issue, try the latest xp, you can actually kill by threads if you'd like or see all the threads assigned to a particular process.

get linux Office desktop version... works great !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I've got XP os and office, I tried rebooting to no avail.
    Then last night when I turned of the comp it wouldn't close as word was not closed!!
    I ran the task manager and found winword in the running processes and turned it of.
    I then ran detect and repair from the XP cd and that seems to have fixed the problem, but things aren't working as they should.
    Little things like 'Outlook' not being able to do a 'flag follow up' and then doing it fine later...Dunno...
    I know that programs can leak memory, but how does that happen and how do you know what one it is?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

liv
    well...there is no quick awnser to this one.
    you could get a memory manager that allocates memory for the os to the programs, they usually are able to manage those errors..

in the windows task manager ( ctrl-alt-del )
    go under view and select column, and add a few like: thread count, memory peak, memory delta, virtual memory size.

These columns should help to identify whats causing it.

other tips,
    - check for updates for your winxp everyday
    - make sure you are not overheating your computer. ( make sure your cpu and other fans are not cloged up.. )
    - if you did change some hardware lately, check of hardware or software incompatibility... or update to a better/newer driver.
    - make sure you are not infected by viruses & worms.
    some of those little buggers like making memory holes and generate them at random.
    for worms, check out vil.nai.com/vil/stigner
    for spyware, check out ad-aware.com and spybot
    for virus scanners: avg ( grisoft.com )

run these everyday to keep your system clean.

hope one of these fix your issue,

Olivier

Just to note. I work as a computer tech and have come accross things like this. Now I have never used office xp, but I do know that with office 2000, running a detect and repair should only be done on tempary basis. I found that doing a complete uninstall, then do not reboot, delete all normal.dot files(maybe only one), then delete all temps and remove from recycle, then complelely shut down. Leave on for about a min to clear memory, boot up and install, Seems to work best for office. Got love MS products.

Thanks for the tips.
    It seems that I spend more time troubleshooting Micro$oft than I do using it...
    I've got ada-ware and spy-bot and NISecurity 2003 and up-date almost daily (except NIS as it auto- updates)
    I do all the patches from Micro$oft etc...(Get their newsletter)
    I clean, empty, de-frag, disc check etc, in fact I even dust the *****!
    Liv I will do what you suggested but what are they and what do they do?? thread count, memory peak, memory delta, virtual memory size?
    I usually just reformat the hard drive and wipe it, but I'm tired of re-installing everything...And now they have these silly activations that allow only 5 installs etc for piracy issues etc.
    Does anyone have NISecurity 2004 and what do think of it?
    I'm thinking if getting it as it's only $20 more expensive than the subscription extension, if I buy it at student prices...I've been told that it makes your comp slower.
    Thanks again every one.

liv
    those keys show you what the memory hogs are.
    as for Norton 04.. I would'nt with a six foot clown pole.
    use avg free edition, works fine and cleans better.
    also is not a 300mb install ( totally ridiculous ) only a 10mb footprint.. not a memory hog.

Tiffany, everyone has their favorite way of doing things. I have NIS 2004. (I used to run Zone Alarm for my firewall and Norton Antivirus). I like Zone Alarm more as it was easier to to customize (allow pop ups on sites - like this one - where I want pop ups and not allow pop ups on all other sites). Other than that, everything seems to work just as fast as before. A LOT will depend upon your CPU speed and memory. I know when I tried NIS on my laptop (CPU 500) things were noticably slower.

One thing that I will point out - with NIS 2004 you don't need adaware & spyware. Norton will stop this unless you allow it. If you download and install a lot of "free" games, etc., you might still want to run adaware off and on in case you have installed something that includes these programs. Norton will stop the programs from reporting home so you don't have to worry about that part of it. This will free up some of your system resorces.

I agree - those activations are a pain in the *****. I have got around that by fdisking so that I have a 10 gig C drive and the remainder is D drive. I then format and install XP and download all the updates (Microsoft). I then install all my programs on D drive and keep C drive for XP and all other programs that won't allow me to install anywhere by C drive. (Do a custom install and most programs will allow you to change the drive they install to.) After everything is set up the way I like, I then use Norton Ghost to make an image of C drive (don't forget to verify the image as we've had one bad image in the 3 or 4 years that we have been using Ghost). Then when XP starts to act up (with Microsoft is always happens), I just restore my image to C drive and then only download the updates (Microsoft and Norton) since the image was made. You will also have to re-install any programs installed since the image was made. Since we discovered Norton Ghost, we all have images of our drives. It takes less than 5 minutes (most of the time is spent looking for the CD's that we burnt the image to ) to restore and your system works again without activating anything.

I can't say that Liv's antivirus program works better or not but I can say since we have been running Norton Antivirus, we haven't had a single infection. I would point out that NIS does automatically download the virus dat files, etc. but I still run Live Update manually once a month. I have found that it doesn't download the program updates automatically. With XP, if set up to allow automatic downloads, you don't have to worry about the Microsoft updates as it will do it for you.

One other thing that may help. If I understand correctly, you are running Office XP. Go the the Microsoft Office site and check for updates to Office XP. I run Office 2000 and there are 3 service packs for Office 2000. These service packs are supposed to fix any programming bugs that have been discovered since Office was released.

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast